Volvo Penta Dp-s gear ratio change

rfcz3

Recruit
Hey guys your thoughts on this would be great! I have a 1997 Larson Hampton 250 with a Volvo 5.7 GS Dp-s 1.95:1 drive with D6 Props. I recently purchased the boat putting it back to running condition. The previous owner had to cut of the forward prop off and destroyed the seal. The drive shaft has a slight bent and needs to be replaced. The cost of repair with the tools needed to complete the job would run about $1400.00 including the forward prop replacement. I have found a local person from craigslist selling a Dp-s 2.31:1 drive with F8 SS props for $2000.00 in perfect condition. Do you think this outfit would work well with my vessel? Any thoughts or ideas would be great!

Thanks, Ron

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo Penta Dp-s gear ratio change

No, I don't think it would work well. You need the correct gear ratio.

Why spend 2000 instead of 1400?

rfcz3

Recruit

Thanks,
I was not sure about the RPM increase that I would of had changing it from a 1.95:1 to 2.32:1 ratio. I know that it would have affected my top speed running at a higher RPM. It is a rare occurrence for me to run at WOT, as I only tend to cruise about 19-25 knots. The 5.7 GS's speed range is 4200-4600. I was considering the $2k verses the repair of $1400 for many reasons. The 2.32:1 drive is in excellent shape with #F8 SS Props! At a price tag of $2K it's a good deal! The challenge with the 1.95:1 drive is purchasing the tools and parts needed plus all the time from my lack of experience. I guess I know have another Winter project...lol

captmello

Captain

I agree 2000 is a good deal for that outdrive. If you tried to change ratios on your boat, you'd most likely have to run the highest pitch prop set available and would not be able to use the set currently on the outdrive. I'm not a DP prop expert by any means.

I also would not recommend trying to repair the outdrive yourself. Unless you have experience working on this specific outdrive. If done wrong you could easily ruin the entire drive costing you thousands more in the end. I would have it rebuilt by a pro and make sure he offers a warranty of some kind. Just my opinion.:)

Whatever you do, let us know how it turns out by updating your thread.;)

Good Luck!