Volvo Penta aq130D headgasket size

ericgodlieb

Cadet
Good day all,

I have a Bayliner Mutiny with a Volvo Penta AQ130D inboard.
After reading a lot of info on the www i discovered that the 130D version is using a bigger size gasket (1.2mm) than the earlier types.
This for lower octane feul and also will give a lower cr and hp.

I have to replace my headgasket and was wundering if any of you know if it's possible to use the smaller gasket (0.8mm) as on the 130C (we are already always using higher octane feul with lead additive). To gain back some hp.

Thanks in advance.

Brgds,
Eric

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Volvo Penta aq130D headgasket size

Don't see why not, especially if you're using high octane fuel. Don't get too agressive with the timing and listen for detonation, especially under load. I've seen several of these heads with cracks through the valve seat and into the guide which indicates overheating. That can come from detonation so just be aware and adjust timing accordingly if necessary.

Just curious, why do you have it apart?

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

And while you have it apart, why not have hardened seats put in?

ericgodlieb

Cadet

Thanks for the info.

We are taking it apart because its leaking water at the front of the engine between head and block.
Maybe i should have checked the headbolts before starting the season, but now its already to late.
This afternoon will check the compressions to know the average state and afterwards take the head of, check everything and then we will see what has to be done more.

Will keep you posted.

ericgodlieb

Cadet

Checked compressions, 95,110,110,110, took the cylinderhead off and as expected gasket blown between cyl 1 and coolingwater channel and following between coolingwater channel toward outside at the front of the engine.
Checked gasket, was a 2mm gasket, so will order a original 1,2 mm (instead of 0,8mm) and build up engine again.
Valves where not leaking and rest looks oke.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Checked compressions, 95,110,110,110, took the cylinderhead off and as expected gasket blown between cyl 1 and coolingwater channel and following between coolingwater channel toward outside at the front of the engine.
Checked gasket, was a 2mm gasket, so will order a original 1,2 mm (instead of 0,8mm) and build up engine again.
Valves where not leaking and rest looks oke.

While it's off, you should at least check the head with a machinist strait edge for warping. If so inclined, It would be a real good idea to drop it off at a machine shop for them to check warping, and for cracks, and maybe even talk about converting it to hardened seats for unleaded.