Volvo Penta AQ 131a

Rhino2006

Cadet
I recently purchased my first big project boat; 1987 19'bayliner capri. It has a Volvo Penta Aq131A. After about 6 hours of messing with the timing i got it running. My Concern is under the cylinders there is a brass pipe that looks to be coming off the radiator. This pipe leaks water pretty bad. I was able to get my boat into water and fine tune stuff but then i realized it was leaking water out of this brass pipe. I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem or could tell me how to replace/fix.

My next issue is the dip stick assembly is also disconnect from the engine. it goes in but there is nothing to hold it down. So when it runs the oil is spilling out of it and leaking. Any suggestions? is there anything i can do? There usually is a grommet but I'm not familiar with Volvo motors. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Dave

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Penta AQ 131a

Can you tell where it's leaking out of the pipe? If it's leaking at the end, then you probably need to replace the seal. If the pipe you are talking about is the one that wraps around the bottom left and goes to the back, there's a small plug (1/4"?) that goes in it. Make sure it's there.

I'm not really sure about the dipstick. I can't remember what mine was like. I thought it just fit in the hole snugly, and was bolted down by a hanger at the front. Does yours have this hanger? If all else fails you could try a little JB weld to seal it off and hold it in place. Not really the best solution, but it would get you going.

Rhino2006

Cadet

well i don't know what you would consider the "end" but it is right behind the coolant, and it looks to be leaking right off the block maybe? Ill check the plug to.

yeah its weird it should of been sealed but i looked at the oil and then try to put the dip stick back and was like what the heck and thats when i realized awww crap another thing with the motor. And come to find out thats where the oil is leaking from/spewing up from. I thought about using JB but wasn't sure because of it being right above the oil and if i over did it by a little... bad things would happen. What would be your option #2 ?

trophy boat

Seaman Apprentice

Is the dipstick vibrating out, or the dipstick tube? If the tube it has a hanger with bolt that attaches it to the rest of the engine. The dipstick has a little O ring at the top that helps hold it in. However, there shouldn't be enough pressure to spew oil.

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

well i don't know what you would consider the "end" but it is right behind the coolant, and it looks to be leaking right off the block maybe? Ill check the plug to.

yeah its weird it should of been sealed but i looked at the oil and then try to put the dip stick back and was like what the heck and thats when i realized awww crap another thing with the motor. And come to find out thats where the oil is leaking from/spewing up from. I thought about using JB but wasn't sure because of it being right above the oil and if i over did it by a little... bad things would happen. What would be your option #2 ?

I meant the end as in where the tube stops and connects to something else at either end. If it's leaking where it connects to the strainer on top of the heat exchanger then it's probably that seal that needs to be replaced.

Like trophy boat asked, does your dipstick tube have a hanger in the front that bolts to the engine? Also what exactly is being "blown off"? The dipstick or the dipstick tube?

Rhino2006

Cadet

I meant the end as in where the tube stops and connects to something else at either end. If it's leaking where it connects to the strainer on top of the heat exchanger then it's probably that seal that needs to be replaced.

Like trophy boat asked, does your dipstick tube have a hanger in the front that bolts to the engine? Also what exactly is being "blown off"? The dipstick or the dipstick tube?

Its the tube. the tube is off, and i don't see a way to attach it.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

The schematic shows a bracket on the horizontal section.

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

You haven't answered our question about the bracket/hanger on the dipstick tube.

Rhino2006

Cadet

Well today i did more work and it looks like the assembly that holds the dipstick came apart at the engine block. It looks like it was held in there by 3/4 of a inch more of the dipstick assembly. It looks like the part that is suppose to be inserted into the block to make sure there is a good fit came undone and separated from the assembly and engine block leaving a littler part of the dip stick assembly in the block. My only question would be can i use jb weld to put the two metal pieces back together or what else can i try?

THe other issue i addressed today to and the grommet looking thing was out at least 3.4 of the way. I was able to go to the store and get a new one and put it in and I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't leak.

Look at the dipstick tube in the picture. If yours is missing the bracket you might want to find another. Try Ebay

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7744650-21-18777.aspx

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're killing me lol... do you have the hanger bracket at the front of the dipstick tube?

If the tube snapped, which is what I think you're saying, you could weld it back together if you're handy with a welder and own one. Or just do what trophy boat suggested and buy another one. JB weld wouldn't hold it together.

Rhino2006

Cadet

haha i don't mean to kill you. Yes i have the bracket

Yes, in short or maybe long? the tube snapped, And i can't get the other part out of the hole

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah you're going to need to get that piece out somehow and either get a new dipstick tube or get someone to weld this one back together for you.

This engine was in a lot of Volvo cars in the 80's/90's but I'm not sure if an automotive dipstick would fit or not. You could certainly head down to the nearest salvage yard and check one out.

Otherwise you would have to search for the marine Volvo penta version and hope it isn't too expensive.

If the bolt on the front hanger is tight then there's a small chance that JB weld would hold it together and keep it from leaking. It's not really the best way to do it but I think it would actually work.