Volvo Penta 7.4L will not stay running

Green Cobalt

Cadet
Re: Volvo Penta 7.4L will not stay running

Ok. . i will try that. Is the accelerator pump part of the carb?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, but we will also be testing for a possible diode problem

Green Cobalt

Cadet

Alrighty. . . Good morning all. . .

ok I jumped the connections and poured some gas in the carb this morning. . it turned right over and ran til i shut it off after a few mins. . then i put the relay back in and started it again without adding gas and it ran fine til i shut it off again. . let it sit another 15 mins and started it again and it fired right up. . . So what the heck does that mean??? :) other than it works again for some mystery???

Erik

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Means your accelerator pump on the carb isn't working. So it's not able to prime the engine with gas to get it started. If you let it set overnight, it probably will not start again in the morning unless you prime it with gas again. Since it does keep running with the relay installed, that tells me the diodes are working.
Time to do a carb rebuild.

Green Cobalt

Cadet

Thank you for all of your help Don. I will head out to the parts store today to get a new kit. . Looks like i will be out on the lake this weekend after all. . Once again thanks for all of the input. .

Erik

talley_ho

Cadet

I have had a similar problem and one thing I noticed in the design is the fuel pump only operates in one of two conditions with the first being when the starter motor is running (i.e. when starting the motor), and the second being the line from the alternator (i.e. when the motor is running). I noticed this as mine would start great but would soon die so I put my volt meter on the fuel pump and I noticed quite a delay (3 to 8 seconds) from the time the starter was turned off and the alternator power turned the relay back on. In my case, I now suspect my alternator is bad but have not had a chance to check it. Don will know for sure but this is just another thought.