Volvo Penta 5.7 V Belt Change

Hook'd

Seaman
How do I change the v belts on my engine. There are 2; one to the power steering and alternator. A couple of the pulleys have some rust, and I'd like to brush and repaint. Also the alternator belt seems to be riding very low in the pully. I discovered this with a power steering howl which I'll address under separate topic.

Thanks!

Hook'd

Seaman
Volvo Penta 5.7 Power Steering Screach

I just purchased an awesome 1990 Skipjack 20 open, with a rebuilt indmar 5.7 Vortec, roller cam model.

The sea trial uncovered a Screach in the power steering when turning the wheel, and high speed. The seller was embarrassed and dumbfounded. He hadn't had the boat on the water in some time.

I noticed the fluid level was high; at the hot level while cold. I'm going to extract the excess, and try working the wheel with the engine running and cap off to see if there might be some air. I also noticed the alternator belt is riding low in the pully. Related?

I'll keep you posted but want any advice available.

Thanks!

Hook'd

Seaman
Answering this myself after reading the manual, but appreciate feedback. Loosen the 2 screws and detention, remove belt, retension, tighten. Should only be able to depress .4" with thumb. Run engine, check again. The power steering below must be removed first. Same .4" tension.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
A loose belt could.
but I have same issue on my 5.0, and with some help from the forum It turns out that my steering pins are getting gummed up, causing the power steering pump to work harder.
at the dock, no issues, but as soon as it had to overcome the water pressure at moderate speeds, it would squeal.

Bondo

Staff member
Also the alternator belt seems to be riding very low in the pully.

Ayuh,.... Sounds to be all related, so I merged yer threads,....

Rusty pulleys will sand the sides off belts, causin' what you see,...

Paint the pulleys, 'n throw on a new set of belts, 'n ya oughta be just Fine,....

Rustoleum enamel with hardener works pretty good,...

wrench 3

Commander
When tightening the power steering belt, be careful not to pry on the tin can part of the pump.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
is this an AQ271 or a 570 (same motor, slight differences)

check your alternator belt. also, check the alternator bearings. Im on a 3rd set of alternator bearings already.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
to answer your question on how to change the belts, there is an adjustment low on the bottom of the alternator bracket. loosten the pivot bolt, loosen the clamp bolt, remove belt, replace belt, use pry bar, tighten alternator lower bolt, then the pivot bolt

for the power steering, the two studs on the pump go thru the bracket on the port head. loosen those, swear a bit as the two ps lines now prevent the pump from moving enough, attempt to pry off belt, swear more, remove the 4 bolts on the front of the pulley on the PS pump, **** the pulley, remove the belt. install new belt, straighten the pulley, put the 4 bolts back in, put a pry bar between the motor and the pump crimped edge (not on the tin sides), apply some leverage, tighten the two stud nuts

now go boating.

Hook'd

Seaman
Thanks for the advice! Here's what I've done so far.

1. Fired up engine, removed PS cap, and worked the wheel back and forthe for a while....to some short term success.
2. Removed the PS belt and the Screach stopped totally. BTW, on the 20' I don't feel the PS is much benefit. I am considering autopilot, and will start a new thread on eliminating the PS, and going hydraulic.
3. Removed, inspected, and tightened the alternator belt, and further tightened the PS belt.

Issue resolved. I'm going to order new belts now, take bondo's advice on prep and paint and retension everything.

BTW, it is a Indmar 570 Vortec, roller camto my knowledge, but may have started as a 271.

Hook'd

Seaman
Ok....dumb question. How do I determine the exact engine and get the Volvo part numbers for the belts for example?

Hook'd

Seaman
And now....what's a good source for the belts. I figured out the part number, but tough to find. Can you just go to a auto parts store, and crossmatch?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you pull your belts off, go to autoparts store and match them up.

what does it say on top of the spark arrestor (air cleaner) cover?

Hook'd

Seaman
I'll take some photos Scott. I have 2 of these boats. The first has the aq231, and its on the arrestor or as you say. This one the previous owner put in a new engine, and nothing real obvious.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
AQ231 is a 305 SBC putting out 231 hp

front accessories same as the 271, etc. carb is different than the 5.7 liter.

most likely the PO used the exact accessories and only changed the longblock. I can get you belt numbers off of mine when I get home

Hook'd

Seaman
Scott, I believe that's correct. 1980 Skipjack is a aq231 w/185SP, 1990 Skipjack is a 570 with a DPA. Whats is a good source for OD service parts; o-rings, belows, all that stuff?

Are you saying the AQ 231, AQ 271, and 570 are approaximately the same wit the exception of the carb? This looks to be true as the 570 has the old style exhaust manifolds, sloping downward.

The 570 has a Rochester carb and Eddlebrock manifold.

I'm going to start a couple additional threads on cable/PS to hydraulic prepared for AP, and Freshwater system addition. Would appreciate your feedback.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
OTC sells 2 nice tools that make this job easier:
Belt tension gauge
Pulley adjusting tool
The pulley adjusting tool pries right between the pulleys and you can get it tight enough without damaging anything. The gauge lets you get em tight enough without guessing. A lil pricey but worth it on older vehicles with v belts