volvo penta 5.7 gxi-f sensor location

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrolida

Cadet
Hi! I have a Volvo Penta 5.7gxi-f that is sending different temperature readings on the panel gauge and the Rinda diagnostic tool. Can someone please help me the location of sensor with part number 3862500.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Temp sender would be on the intake manifold thermostat crossover

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the sensor you are asking about is the exhaust gas temperature sensor. not engine temperature. its in the exhaust risers.

alldodge

Staff member
There is 2 senders on the thermostat housing for Temp. The one which has one Tan wire is the gauge sender and is not connected to the ECM. The other which has 2 wires yel/Blk and Blk/Org sends it to the ECM

jrolida

Cadet
There is 2 senders on the thermostat housing for Temp. The one which has one Tan wire is the gauge sender and is not connected to the ECM. The other which has 2 wires yel/Blk and Blk/Org sends it to the ECM
My gauge reads 150 degrees while my rinda tool reads 95 degrees. I have a hard starting motor when engine is hot.

alldodge

Staff member
My gauge reads 150 degrees while my rinda tool reads 95 degrees. I have a hard starting motor when engine is hot.

Would need some more info on what hard starting means?
Is this a new to you boat or just a new issue?
How does it start when cold?
When it gets warmed up what is needed to get it to start again?
Does the hard starting happen after sitting a while when warm or every time its started after shutting off?

Use an IR temp gun and see what the temp of the thermostat housing is and compare with gauge

jrolida

Cadet
Would need some more info on what hard starting means?
Is this a new to you boat or just a new issue?
How does it start when cold?
When it gets warmed up what is needed to get it to start again?
Does the hard starting happen after sitting a while when warm or every time its started after shutting off?

Use an IR temp gun and see what the temp of the thermostat housing is and compare with gauge

jrolida

Cadet
This is new to me boat. Starts perfect when cold. When it gets warmed up you need to prime throttle. Easy start if it sits for maybe 2 hours after running. IR temp gun and gauge temp almost the same.

alldodge

Staff member
Pumping the throttle on a fuel injected motor does nothing but move the throttle plate. If your moving the throttle open more and cranking this is giving it more air. If the throttle is 3/4 to wide open this shuts the fuel OFF.

If the IR and the helm gauge reads the same then the ECT sender needs to be replaced with the 95* reading. With the ECM thinking its colder it maybe allowing more fuel during restart. With restart easier after a couple hours it could also be there is injectors leaking

Check the fuel pressure at the rail

Centella

Recruit
This is new to me boat. Starts perfect when cold. When it gets warmed up you need to prime throttle. Easy start if it sits for maybe 2 hours after running. IR temp gun and gauge temp almost the same.
Hi !
I face exactly the same issue, starts perrfect in cold but after running it needs throtttle to start. Did you found out in your case where the issue was coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.