Volvo Penta 5.7 GL water on all spark plugs, and engine stalls due to high oil level or hydrolock.

Kepin

Recruit
Hello fellow boaters, need your advice and help here.
My story, in short, I have a Wellcraft Prima 243, engine VP 5.7 GL with Holley carb. the boat was smoking a bit grey/blackish on start up for about 10 min for the past a few seasons, I thought it was due to the carburetor. This season also noticed that the oil became dark grey very fast and the level was a bit higher. A few days ago, when running idle at the slip engine stalled and I couldn't restart it again, first, I thought it was seized. Checked the oil level, it was about 2-3 inches higher than the maximum mark. After I pulled a gallon of contaminated oil I was able to turn the engine again. Then I pulled all spark plugs out, all plugs had signs of moister presence in all cylinders. I've drained all remaining oil, another 3/4 of a gallon, replaced the oil filter, and conducted a dry pressure test for all cylinders and a wet pressure test blowing fogging oil into the plug hole. The test shows 140 on two cylinders and 180-200 on the rest. The wet test shows 190-200 on all cylinders, including two with lower numbers. So, my question is what is the problem there, intake manifold, exhaust manifold/risers gasket, head gasket, head bracket, or worst-case scenario, internal crack in the block? And where I should start with a repair? I can do manifolds and risers gaskets, but going into deep is too much. It starts and runs well, a bit rough in an idle but acceptable. After running twice for about 10 min. the oil level rises about 1/4 of a quarter, but no signs of gross contamination or milky color of oil, it looks pretty normal yet. There are droplets of water and moister on throttle plates in the carburetor and a smell of gas from the exhaust, which indicates that fuel does not burn completely, probably due to moister in cylinders, and now I see why it was smoking. The mechanics in our marina are pretty busy now and it would take another week before they can get the boat into the shop, I was thinking to start diagnostic by myself, but wanted to ask the community first about your opinion. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20220626_143000.jpg
    20220626_143000.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 6

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If the oil you took out wasn't milk shacked did it smell like gas? Are you in salt or fresh water? If an engine is running rich enough say like a float in the carb stuck you can get gas in the oil. If it truly was water or check your fuel you might have got water in your fuel, pull the fuel/water separator and drain it. Oh and welcome aboard

Kepin

Recruit
Thank you for your reply, cptbill, Im overwhelmed with my problem, most mechanics saying the engine is a good candidate for a swap due crack in the block, and that is around CAD$10K. Im in Ontario, fresh water. The oil was rather dark grey, definitely had some water plus had a presence of gas in it as well. The oil smells like gas a bit and the exhaust fumes smell like gas a bit. You gave me an idea to check the fuel. Actually, I left the gas tank this winter 3/4 full, but do you think it could be that much water in the tank to contaminate the oil as much? I pulled about 1 and 3/4 of gallon of oil, that's 7 quarters compare to 4.5 -5 quarter top level for this engine. Im going back to the marina tomorrow and check it the first thing. So, I should see the water in fuel / water separation filter? Will post my findings tomorrow. Thanks again!