Volvo Penta 5.7 engine swap

Mike Simjack

Cadet
I wanting to replace my 2002 VP 5.7 GI BF engine with a new marine 6.0 , I want to use my out drive that is on the boat now, DP-SM 195. Does anyone know if this can be done. I.E. coupler bolt up, Flywheel compatibility and starter. Im told the bell housing will bolt to engine.

Bondo

Staff member
with a new marine 6.0

Ayuh,...... A Ford diesel motor,..??..??

I believe without custom machine work, 'n masterful re-engineerin',......

That ain't gonna happen,.....

Mike Simjack

Cadet
Sorry should have been more specific on replacement engine. Im looking the Kodiak GM Vortex 6.0 LY6 gas engine.

kenny nunez

Captain
Basically it is a “slam dunk” as long you have the correct flywheel and manifolds . The drive will hold up as long as you do not do full throttle starts or wave jumping which Volvo DP s do not like. Good luck

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its done all the time

Bondo , this is an LS marine motor from Volvo with cat exhaust

Mike Simjack

Cadet
Thank you for responses. Its Not a VP engine but a Kodiak marine engine from KEP equipment, no cat. They only do Jet out drives so they don't know it the 6.0 (not the 6.2 that Volvo has,) flywheel to crankshaft bolt pattern in compatible with the VP 6.2 coupler. Can the 6.2 coupler be converted to fit the 6.0? They are different boat patterns.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thank you for responses. Its Not a VP engine but a Kodiak marine engine from KEP equipment, no cat. They only do Jet out drives so they don't know it the 6.0 (not the 6.2 that Volvo has,) flywheel to crankshaft bolt pattern in compatible with the VP 6.2 coupler. Can the 6.2 coupler be converted to fit the 6.0? They are different boat patterns.

Its a GM LS motor.......you are over thinking it.......all LS motor parts are like Mr Potato head....... The same flywheel that fits a 4.8 LD V8 bolts onto the 7.0 LS motor. The flywheel housing patterns asre all the same too

The drive plate bolt pattern (clutch pressure plate mounting) has been the same for GM since 1955

Mike Simjack

Cadet
Thank You for the response. But to push this a little further, Volvo makes the coupler for the V8-380 which is the 6.2 aluminum engine. The engine i want to install is the cast iron 6.0 LY6. The coupler should interchange with the motors? I believe the part # is 21619636. Sorry for being so cautious but its a lot of $$ to spend if the coupler is not a match.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the coupler doesnt care what motor is in front of the flywheel. since that part number is a rubber button coupler that attaches to the flywheel mounting studs, it only cares what bolt pattern is there, and all LS motors have the same crank pattern.

however if your current drive does not use the rubber coupler and uses a drive plate, you would use your existing coupler, flywheel housing and drive.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
also be wary about the fact that some LS 6.0 motors used a slightly longer (0.4") crank flange. those can bolt on a zero balanced SBC flywheel without a problem.