Volvo Penta 5.7 AQ271C Electric Fuel pump coversion

Sam Jenkins

Seaman Apprentice
Hi new to the forum so any info or advice would be much appreciated.
I'm looking at upgrading the engine from a mechanical fuel pump to an electric fuel pump, has anyone done this modification to this engine if so any recommendations as to what fuel pump and components to purchase. If not what pressure pump would be required?
Many Thanks Sam

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I wouldn't do it unless you replace the block and there was no mechanical pump pad available.

first, the mechanical fuel pump is 100 times more reliable than the electric.

secondly, with electric you need either an oil pressure switch and relay or you need to run off the AC tap if you have it.

Thirdly, an SAE J1171 compliant fuel pump is double the cost of a new mechanical pump.

carburetors run on 4-6psi anything more than that and the floats on that holley may not close.

so what problem do you have that you want to degrade your fuel system?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I’m agreeing with Scott mechanical pumps are more reliable & cheaper. My first one lasted 30 years!

Sam Jenkins

Seaman Apprentice
Perfect thanks makes my life more simple sticking with the mech pump although I think il replace it looking at the state of it

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
PS if you do wind up replacing it keep in mind it’s probably a Carter Marine mechanical pump. If you get the part # off the pump and look for it on Carters website to see if they still make it you might be able to buy it from Summit Racing or Jegs on line. Don’t pay the price Volvo Penta wants for the same part it might be double what the OE supplier charges (Carter).

Scott Danforth

Staff member
it is a carter marine pump, it is $49 on Summit's site, and most importantly, why do you want or think you need to change it? they will last for about 4000 hours on the boat with minimal maintenance (like not sinking the boat)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agreed the only thing that can happen is the diaphragm can dry out and crack and leak. But you'd know that because there should be gas in that yellow tygon tube. BTW, on mine the port that is supposed to allow gas to flow into that tube in the case of a leak, was plugged up with sludge etc from 30 years of operation, I saw what looked like a little bit of gas in the low end of the tube so I replaced the pump. Too bad they don't have rebuild kits these things are very simple to take apart. The only pain with them is dealing with the GM pushrod design, on the V8s you can temporarily install a longer bolt to hold the pushrod up so it doesn't keep sliding down. The V6 blocks do not have this as an option, so you have to struggle with it to get it to stay up in there while you get the pump into position.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Here's the original and a Sierra that I picked up because the Carter was back ordered for a while, but I did get the Carter as a spare. They're cheap enough! For some reason the V6 pumps mount upside down relative to the V8 pumps.
Sierra fuel pump for 4.3.jpg

Scott Danforth

Staff member
put a dab of grease on the fuel pump push rod, holds it in place