Volvo Penta 5.0L Gxi-G Belt Squeak - Video Included

K Cz

Recruit
I have a 2007 Volvo Penta 5.0L Gxi-G with a DPS-A 1.95 drive. The boat has 255 hours. For the past year, which is how long I have owned the boat, I have been unable to remedy the belt squeak or chirp captured in the video linked below. The squeak gets louder with the engine RPMs. I have replaced the belt, tensioner, water pump (which includes the pulley), and the power steering pulley. The belt appears to be properly aligned, especially after I pressed the power steering pulley on a little bit farther. Do anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing the squeak? Could the power steering pump itself be failing, preventing the pulley from spinning freely and jumping off the routing? How would I diagnose a bad power steering pump? The belt has jumped off the routing twice in the five hours we have put on the boat in the past year. Thanks for any thoughts.

https://youtu.be/H6rkWrC-bR4

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 2007 5.0 GL-H. Same issue. Haven't been able to remedy 100%, will be watching this thread. What did help, was shimming out the lower attachment points for the power steering with washers. It went from screeching banshee to mildly annoying.

mandmj

Seaman
Get a piece of hose and put one end to your ear and then move the other around to different locations on the engine. Also sound reflections in an engine bay can be very misleading to what is actually making the noise. could be coming from the back as well as the front. A mechanics stethoscope will also help.