Volvo Penta 4.3 Raw Water / Electric Pump?

menasco

Recruit
I have a 97 4.3gl Volvo Penta with a bad impeller and was thinking about replacing it with a 5gpm 12v diaphragm pump. Any reason this would not work?

Plumb it into the 12v system, wire in a relay when the fuel pump kicks on the water pump starts.

Billy

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have a 97 4.3gl Volvo Penta with a bad impeller and was thinking about replacing it with a 5gpm 12v diaphragm pump. Any reason this would not work?

Plumb it into the 12v system, wire in a relay when the fuel pump kicks on the water pump starts.

Billy
I cant see the check valves/balls in the diaphragm pump doing well with sand and debris in normal raw water. Having used both electric and AODs in industrial settings i think you would do a bunch of work to end up with a less reliable system

whats the opposition to replacing the existing pump and or impeller? Normally they are very reliable

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
5GPM is less flow rate than the pump that is on there.

What is wrong with the current pump?

A new one from Johnson is only $130. Impeller kits only $25

What is the flow rate of your proposed diagram pump with 3' of head pressure?

menasco

Recruit
I cant see the check valves/balls in the diaphragm pump doing well with sand and debris in normal raw water. Having used both electric and AODs in industrial settings i think you would do a bunch of work to end up with a less reliable system

whats the opposition to replacing the existing pump and or impeller? Normally they are very reliable
No opposition, just curious. It would be easier to access on my boat!

menasco

Recruit
5GPM is less flow rate than the pump that is on there.

What is wrong with the current pump?

A new one from Johnson is only $130. Impeller kits only $25

What is the flow rate of your proposed diagram pump with 3' of head pressure?
I have not researched pumps, just posing a question.

If I were to move toward adding a pump I’d need to know what the impeller pump specs are.

billy

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have not researched pumps, just posing a question.

If I were to move toward adding a pump I’d need to know what the impeller pump specs are.

billy
So in lieu of a problem you want to change to something unproven

Wouldn't researching flow rates and cooling requirements be first step?

Rustychain

Cadet
Replacing or carrying a spare impellor and a few tools is better plan.
I got caught with a failed impellor on the water, and no spare. Was able to connect the bilge pump hose to the hose that normally is on the outlet of the water pump. Fed lake water to the bilge pump with a bucket, it cooled down the overheated engine, and was able to drive slowly back to ramp without overheating again.