Volvo Penta 4.3 GL Fuel Starvation Intermittent

wilke1

Recruit
I have a 98 4 Winns Horizon with a 4.3 GL.
Engine starts and runs fine. After restart, the engine will get up on plane but will stall out as if out of gas. (If I wait long enough, the engine will restart and be fine). Inspected accelerator pump and no fuel going into venturis. Power to the pump is observed during cranking.

I can jumper the pump and I can hear the pump load. I pump the throttle and observe the accelerator pump is working, visual of fuel sprayed into carb. When issue occurs, I can jumper the pump, it runs but I do not hear the pump load and no fuel from the accelerator pump.

I suspect the fuel filter.

I removed the filter/water separator and drained it into a clean container, There was no water evident but some minor contamination. I cut the filter open. The paper was not clogged but did notice a film of some sort. Maybe the water separator film??? I bought the boat used so I am not sure when it was last changed nor if fuel additive was used over the winter.
I pulled the pump off and inspected the wire screen. It looks clear of any contaminants.

I will chagne the filter and try again.
Could this be a fuel pump? I hate to spend the $200. for a pump needlessly.

Thanks in advance.

wilke1

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3 GL Fuel Starvation Intermittent

Replaced fuel filter. Ran with muffs on Friday for 2 hours no issue. Took out Saturday and ran all day. No issues.

Thanks to this site for previos posts.

kagr80000

Cadet

I am having the exact same problem with my 96 Four Winns 180RX
I have the Volvo Penta 4.3GL with a Holly 2BBL Carb.
Off the trailor it starts right up and runs great for hours with no problems at all.Then we shut down and float for a couple hours an restart with no problem until we take off an as soon as we get planed ithe carb bowl is drained out of fuel.
I replaced the electric fuel pump,Fuel/Water Seperator spin on filter,3/8" fuel line all of it and the anti Syfone vale at the tank.
End result I still have the same problem as I started with.

Now if I start the boat and let it idle for 3 to 5 minutes before I take off everything is fine but I have never had to wait before taking off in the last 11years of owning the boat so I am missing something somewhere.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Start a new thread with your question, don't just post at the end of someone elses question. after a couple of replies no one will even see your post, plus one never knows who's question is being answered.

kagr80000

Cadet

I already started one 8 months ago and it ran out of solutions.
I was just glad to see Im not the only one with fuel issues on these 4.3L

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Then bring your old thread back up. At least then we would know what was tried and what wasn't. From here you are just starting over.