Volvo penta 3.0

I discovered that I have a cracked block on my inboard. Im pretty sure that i didn't get it winterized in time. So my own stupidity. But I didn't discover this until I broke a power steering belt. I took it out several times over the summer and had no issues. I even checked the oil and its just oil. So I'm guessing its just the outer block. So I read a few places that you can JB weld that. So I wanted to see if anyone has done this and is it holding up? Im going to pull the motor and start cleaning it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Some have used JB and done well and some not so good. Get it real clean prior to using and chances are good

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... I've seen motors run just fine for many years, bubblegummed back together,.....
So long as the water ain't gettin' into the oil,......

kenny nunez

Captain
Original JB weld is good but sets hard and will not tolerate expansion. There are other sealers that come in a 2 tube injector/mixer that should hold up to expansion/contraction. JB weld may even have a product like that also.
Use a heat lamp to warm the block overnight before using what ever sealer you use.
Grind as much as possible to get a good clean bite.