Volvo penta 3.0 with SX-A drive leaking....just out of warranty :(

Frankdtank

Seaman
Hi all,
Warranty expired in April and now I have a leak. It took a few of tries, but i managed to get a video of the leak and it's now on youtube, hopefully I can link to it.
Pretty steady leak that starts as soon as the boat is launched, engine off. Water seems to be coming from directly above the exhaust pipe. There is no water anywhere near the transom water fitting or steering mechanism or shift cable.
I am leaning toward the u joint bellow or some seal related to that area. The shop gave me a $700 estimate just to replace the bellow, so I think I'll have to tackle this one myself.
I guess my question is, looking at the video, where is the most likely source of the leak?
I am prepared to pull the drive ( have a book ready :) ) What should I look for, besides the obvious? Any pointers?
Thanks...

Volvo Penta 3.0 with SX-A drive, just out of warranty and leaking water :( - YouTube

I guess if you copy/paste the link above , it take you to my video....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo penta 3.0 with SX-A drive leaking....just out of warranty :(

Pull the drive and check for water in the bellows.
What's the engines serial number?

Don S

Engine serial # A106520
Thanks

That is not a serial number, a Volvo serial number is 10 numbers long, and starts with a 4

Frankdtank

Seaman

IMG_1583.jpg

These are the only numbers on there.

Don S

Pull the drive !!!!!!!!!! and check for water.

Is this a re power? a new engine for your boat?

Have no idea where it's leaking. Your video shows 25 seconds of water dripping and the bottom of the bilge, but nothing to show where the drip is coming from.

Frankdtank

Seaman

It's the original engine, the same numbers are on my warranty paperwork as well.
I am planning on pulling the drive this weekend...

Frankdtank

Seaman

Yes, I have been to the site to get some of my p/m parts. The recall is regarding the screws on the carburetor plate and the dealer actually has to send the carb to Volvo, which takes weeks...

Don S

The dealer doesn't have to send the carb to Volvo. They can check it, or you can check it yourself but warranty won't count.
Here is a few pages from the service bulletin on what to look for.

View attachment SB Partial.pdf

Frankdtank

Seaman

Outdrive gave about 1/4 " ,but now it's stuck. Please help...

Frankdtank

Seaman

Ok, after dropping it a few times (maybe more then a few times) on some wood block it finally gave. What I found is not good. Made a short video to show the damage....

Volvo penta 3.0 with SX-A drive leaking water part 2 - YouTube

I will take it apart further, cause at this point I will have to replace just about everything. I hope the transom assembly (that holds the bearing ) can be cleaned up? Ill get a better shot once I remove the bellows...

Don S

You will need a new bellows, new gimbal bearing, ujoints, and probably the yoke going into the drive. It has a sealing surface that is no doubt all rusty and pitted, and a new input shaft seal. That requires disassemble of the double bearing and requires a new crush sleeve and resetting the rolling torque.
Have you checked the drive oil for water? I would bet money it has water in it.

No, you don't have to pull the transom assembly.

Frankdtank

Seaman

I actually changed the drive oil not too long ago and it was clean, but will drain it.
I'll keep asking question as I go along cause no doubt I'll get stuck somewhere...

Frankdtank

Seaman

You were right, the oil is milky :(
I have questions.
Does the gimbal ring or pivot housing need to be removed in order to get to the bearing?
I would make it a lot easier if I took the gimbal assembly (ring) off all together. I've tried to remove just the pivot housing, but the pivot pins are not budging and I hate to break something. Already broke a trim sensor screw.

Gimbal Ring And Pivot Housing SXAACLT-OXi-32, SXAACLT-OXI-32, SXAACLT-OXI-42, SXAACLT-OXi-42, SX-OXI-AAC, SX-OXI-AAC - 7746270 - Volvo Penta

Above is the diagram I am using as reference...

Don S

Not to change the gimbal bearing, it just takes a slide hammer from the front.
As far as the bellows, never tried on the SX-A, but on the older SX you could change the bellows by removing the exhaust bellows, and disconnecting the water hose from the pivot housing and pulling the ujoint bellows out the bottom.

Might want to have a look at this thread http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...imbal-bearing-shift-cable-service-513846.html

PS, you better get an alignment bar, you are going to need one. Ebay has them all the time for around $40 or less. Same thing as a Mercruiser.

Frankdtank

Seaman

I got 3lb slide hammer/puller kit and i have been knocking away at it for awhile, but the bearing won't budge.
Any ideas?......... I am actually considering a fancy puller off of ebay that is designed to do the job.
On the drive side of the problem I have removed the bearing carrier from the drive. What is the proper way of removing the shaft/u-joint assembly?
I am referencing to the diagram below:

U-Joint And Bearing Carrier SX-A, DPS-A - 7746270 - Volvo Penta

I am guessing removing snap ring #6 and screw #4 should allow for removal ?

Also the parts on the drive side of the bearing carrier look great and the only thing I am thinking about replacing is the seal #12.
On the engine side I hope to get away with a new seal #7 and if needed a bearing #8.

Since the u-joint/shaft assembly is only sold as one piece assembly ($450 at volvo), I decided to soak the u-joint in some rust remover. It is looking pretty good, but what do I know? Is there an outside chance of re greasing it and being able to save it or is it toast?

I know these are a lot of questions, but it's my first time, so I thanks for all the help..

Don S

Don't waste your money on a gimbal bearing puller like that. A slide hammer borrowed from your local autozone will work just as good.

As far as the alignment bar, you need one to align the gimbal bearing an engine, not to bang on with a hammer to install a gimbal bearing.

Many use a piece of PVC pipe and tap the bearing in a little at a time.

Don't go crazy buying tools you don't need. Keep the bellows changed, and you may never need a gimbal bearing again.