Volvo Penta 3.0 stall and start failure

Rurru

Cadet
Hi, ran into a bit of a problem this week with my Volvo Penta 3.0.

After half an hour if cruising in moderately strong waves, the engine started surging and hesitating, moving the rev needle 400 revs over and 400 under. I put the engine on idle and it immediately stalled. It was then impossible to start. I chacked the high tension cables, and had no spark in cylinder 1 and 4. Kept trying to start, carburetor flooded, then had to wait for the fuel to evaporate. After 3 hours or so it was possible to start the engine but it was still hesitating.

I removed the carb, adjusted the float level, inspected the needle .. all seems fine. I now have spark on all 4 cylinders and boat is starting normally. However I'm hesitant to take it back to the water as I'm thinking it's an electrical problem which may come back once the engine heats up.

Since I had spark on two cylinders, could it still be a faulty ignition coil, or would a bad ignition coil result in loss of spark on all 4 cylinders? Could it have been some dirt in the carb, which eventually passed? What else should I look out for?

Engine has been completely rebuilt and only has 3 hours on the clock so I cannot let it idle too long, so cli cannot test the boat out of the water.

Thank you

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Distributor cap & rotor might be bad not coil….also check resistance of high tension leads…

Rurru

Cadet
Distributor cap & rotor might be bad not coil….also check resistance of high tension leads…
How do you check the resistance? Cap looks good, a bit worn but nothing out of this world... Also, when the engine is idling and I push the throttle hard, the engine gives a little cough before raising rpm... Is this related?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You remove each lead and measure with an ohm meter should be approx 1,000 ohms per foot of length.
Auto shop 101

kenny nunez

Captain
Check the rotor shaft to see if the distributor bushing is worn out. There is a bushing in the block just over the oil pump that supports the lower end of the distributor shaft. Did you replace that bushing? The rotors on the 3,0s have a tendency to go to ground when they get hot. Get a good one from NAPA. Is the timing set around 6* ? If the distributor is worn it causes the timing not to hold steady.
Does accelerator pump in the carburetor give a good squirt when you move the throttle? Is it a Holley carburetor?
With the engine running there should be at least 8 volts at the + side of the coil. That is what the resistor wire should provide.