volvo penta 280,305 V8 question

cnccustom

Seaman
Hi all...I am looking to get a bigger boat and no nothing about outdrives,all my other boats had outboards on them.....the boat I am looking at has a Volvo Penta 280 outdrive, 305 V-8,..does this mean the motor is a volvo ? also are they reliable if maintained and are parts available?

here is a description from the ad.....can you let me know what your thoughts are on this....Thank you for your time

1984 Bayliner Ciera Sunbridge Volvo Penta 280 outdrive, 305 V-8, Hydraulic trim tabs, 54 gallon gas tank, Sleeps 4, Porta-potty, stainless steel prop, 13 gallon water tank, 450 hours, dual batteries, Bimini Top, Boat is in Tip top condition with a completely rebuilt trailer. This boat is turnkey, ready for Catalina. The boat has always been trailered, used only in fresh water, Except for 5 trips I have made to Catalina.

I bought this 3 years ago and I am the second owner. The original used the boat exclusively in Colorado River and fresh water lakes.

The following have been replaced in the past three years. I spent a lot of time and money making it sea worthy. Lowrance Dual Frequency X88 Depth/fish finder 1700ft, 400 watt inverter, Ritchie Compass, Eagle Intellimap 320 GPS with So Cal C-map, Custom anchor box with Danforth achor, 25 ft of chain and 275 ft rode, rebuilt carburetor, fuel pump, all fuel hose, water hoses, trim hoses, exhaust manifold hoses, all thru-hulls, 180 watt Aiwa CD receiver with 4 speaker system, two custom made Teak cabinet doors, Uniden Oceanus VHF Radio & 15ft antenna, both batteries, a set of all New Chesapeake Faria Gauges, switches and panel, steering rack and cable, throttle cable, shift cable, two large capacity bilge pumps with auto on, bilge blower, stainless steel horn, all battery cables, fan belts, points, spark plugs, mag light, cap and rotor, plug wires, coil, Raw water Pump, oil sender, fuel sender, anchor light, Todd Pilot seat and ice chest seat, 2 smoke alarms, 2 mounted Fire extinguishers, all outdrive boots, and outdrive shift seal, Custom BBQ and mount, 2 stainless rod holders, Tool box and mount. I have all the receipts.

The trailer was completely rebuilt in September 2006. The trailer has all new brakes including drums, shoes, backing plates, slave cylinders, brake springs, brake lines, surge unit/master cylinder. Frame was sanded down to metal and repainted. All new lights and wiring. Bearing buddies. All the bearings have been repacked. All 4 tires are 2 years old with about 2000 miles on them.

This boat is in better shape then most 5 year old boats.

$8500 firm

Bondo

Staff member
Re: volvo penta 280,305 V8 question

cnccustom said:
Hi all...I am looking to get a bigger boat and no nothing about outdrives,all my other boats had outboards on them.....the boat I am looking at has a Volvo Penta 280 outdrive, 305 V-8,..does this mean the motor is a volvo ? also are they reliable if maintained and are parts available?

That would be a Chevy motor, Marinized by Volvo......

Volvo drives are known to be nearly Bullet-Proof...... And I Think the 280 is a Good 1,......Don or somebody who Knows Volvos will be along,+ give you some Much Better info on it.....

It Sounds like a decent boat,....
But,... At 22 Years Old,+ a Freshwater boat,....I'd crawl down into the Bilges,+ Poke around with an Ice Pick looking for ROT........
After all,....... Freshwater Rots wood,... Saltwater Pickles it.....

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds good but a 305 is a little small for that size of boat. it won't be real fast or have that much power, big block would be better. the 305 was probably the smallest engine option, it has probly got alot of wear on it to, meaning an underpowered boat, the engine has to work alot harder, its been under alot of stress

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Just replied at your same more or less question at the Outboard forum...copied here.
Quote: 9:54am 7 Dec '06 by cnccustom
Thanks...any input on volvo penta 280 outdrive ?

Bulletproof. Have one. Would own no other, even new. Since I have been at Iboats, I don't think except for oil questions, there have been NO "help me fix" on the VP 280....most Merc/OMC OD's are "help me" daily. 90 up Force was a much better motor than earlier...have a 88 125hp

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

aerwin said:
sounds good but a 305 is a little small for that size of boat. it won't be real fast or have that much power, big block would be better. the 305 was probably the smallest engine option, it has probly got alot of wear on it to, meaning an underpowered boat, the engine has to work alot harder, its been under alot of stress

Well, I am going to disagree with this. I have a friend here at our marina with the same Sunbridge with a 305. I have a 25foot Saratoga with a 350. I have zero idea why, but that 305 runs circles around me. Must be a lighter hull, or something. Buy the boat...great boats! Like the Sunbridge. I'd just say to watch or have a good look at the exhaust manifolds. Not replaced in the last 4 years, DO NEW!

cnccustom

Seaman

Thanks guys ..all good advice....

this boat is immaculate,This guy really took good care of it....the hull looks brand new,...its alot better than I was expecting of a 22yr old boat.....I pick it up tommorrow after we take it for a spin

Thanks and keep the advice coming

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Good luck! Betcha its reddish maroon too ?

cnccustom

Seaman

ci3jMFpyCkvNFWtsHBzFVV1tpzKp.jpg

bay29.jpg

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looks nice, the 305 is a great engine, I have one in my 18 1/2' . if you find it underpowered you could upgrade, I'm sure there were other engine options. sure is a good looking boat

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

Man, gotta love them Volvo's! They pretty much sell the boats thier in. Nice score. I have the same drive and engine in a 28' bayliner. GOOD on gas.

cnccustom

Seaman

lilmandavis said:
Man, gotta love them Volvo's! They pretty much sell the boats thier in. Nice score. I have the same drive and engine in a 28' bayliner. GOOD on gas.

well if you have enough power with a 28' I should be fine in that dept..Thanks

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Just don't run that puppy full bore. Get her up at top speed, then throttle back till it smooths out. You will be surprised how fast that pup will run. Good looking boat. I'm jealous of my marina neighbor's same boat...roomy and lots of light/room.

Speakrdude

Ensign

Damn, what a clean looking bilge. I am jealous.
I now have 2, 1984 Bayliner Ciera Sunbridges, but mine are 2750's. Mine have the 350 in them and will chug along at 30 MPH if ya want. It comes up out of the hole good too. Trim tabs are vital!

Congrats on a great looking boat!

Jim

http://rides.webshots.com/album/110268993cbtppY

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Oh yeah on the Tabs! You should have them on the boat. Just kick'em down for a nice level ride, and they will believe it or not improve gas mileage and efficiency. Keeps ya from plowing along

cnccustom

Seaman

Thanks all for all the input.....having a blast with this boat

cm5408

Seaman

i have a very similar set up (285 with the gm 305) in a 20ft. I really like the drive as it is smooth from forward to reverse and the linkage on the motor is real tight. I dont like the drive becase it is not trimable (thus i have hydrolic trim tabs which i am constantly messing with :-( ). the motor is really strong in my application and has good top end. just wish it would come out of the hole stronger (prob doesnt because the boat is pretty heavy for its size)

all in all i am happy with it. through hull exhaust sounds good for a small block.

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The one thing that I didn't see when you went through the replacement of hoses and such, install a fuel/water filter, as most of the country has gone to E10 fuel. The 280 outdrive is a very strong unit, not having trim is something one has to learn to do without, but get some good trim tabs ...as they will help alot, the 305 is a good little motor .... just don'r run it at full throttle all the time, and it will last for a few more years, I'd do a compression test to see what the numbers are. the only thing one needs to do on the Volvos is change the u-joint bellows every couple of years, and grease the u-joints,and a shot of grease in the intermediate housing, change the oil once a year, and check the dipstick level every couple of weeks during boating season for leakage and water intrusion.

cm5408

Seaman

right on with changing the ujoint bellows. I have one that is cracked right now and water tries to leak in through it. when the boat is out of water, the bellow holds water. Going into the winter, i cut the bottom of the bellow so the trapped water could leak out. i would hate for the water to freeze and cause more damage than is needed. I plan on replacing the bellow in spring when it gets warmer. Doesnt look like it will be a fun job. might have to make sure to stock up on beer for that day.