Volvo penta 260A no spark on 1986 bayliner

FargoYachtClub

Recruit
Engine turns over but I get no spark. I don’t know much on motors so I need a lot of guidance. Can someone please help me!?
Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
is there power at the coil and is it a standard round coil or a small square type with laminations?
man overboard activated killing ign power?

captmello

Captain
that motor has points in the distributor that may need changing. when was the last tune up? when did it run last?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Service the points.

If points sit more than a month or so, you have to file them, set the dwell, then set timing

Normally with frequent use, just needed in the spring

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don’t know much on motors so I need a lot of guidance.
Can you provide a sense of your toolbox and abilities? For example, do you have a multimeter and/or dwell meter? Have you ever filed or changed points in a distributor?
And how do you know you do not have spark? Based on the picture it appears that you took the coil wire off the cap and were holding it close to the block while someone cranked it. But the picture alone says no spark at the plug due to missing the coil to cap wire.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Hasn't been confirmed by OP the ignition is conventional/points but still a good thread for info about a conventional ignition

Sticker on side of distributor in the pic seems non oem, could be electronic ignition? And Volvo did use presolite electronic ignition oem on some packages, so??????

No spark = No go

It'd be swell to see what's under that cap! Like, really neat. Until we see we speculate.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
doesnt help that the center tower doesnt have the coil wire on it.

however since the parts lists for the AQ260A shows a resistor to the dizzy, I am leaning towards points - at least originally. but the motor may have been played with a bit over the past 39 years.

FargoYachtClub

Recruit
Yes I tried checking for spark by pulling the center wire off the distributor and turning it over while holding it close to a block bolt and got nothing.
Sounds like it’s the points so I will try servicing them next and let you guys know thanks

Scott Danforth

Staff member
File the points, set dwell with a dwell meter, then set timing to 8 degrees BTDC

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. There is a ballast resistor type thing (can’t mind its exact name). They can fail and cause issue. It’s near the coil from memory on back starboard side maybe. Ignition sensor should be looked at too Perhaps