Volvo penta 230B with SPCD Trim out drive trim gauge issue

ewills

Recruit
Hello y’all, thanks for any help in advance. I picked up a 93’ Glastron SSV175 a few years ago. I have fully restored it back to new with some modern goodies. One problem lingering over my head is the trim system. I have the tilt/trim mechanism working however the trim gauge initialized with ignition but always reads full down. I have replaced the sensor which controls the trim limits fine except no full down stop which strains the pump. And I have replaced the trim gauge to no evail. In between the sensor and gauge there is an electric module of some sort Volvo Penta p/n 857418. I have replaced this box and still no gauge movement. I have a good ground to the box and gauge and the electric box clicks with the trim buttons activated and has a red light that comes on just no gauge. If I can’t get the electric lower trim gauge to work, I would at least love to have the gauge working so if I need to trim down underway I’m not worried about frying the hydraulic pump. Oh and all the trim relays are also new and no change. Thanks greatly for any help or wisdom.24BEAED0-BF72-4AFA-8B31-FEA7D820848A.png

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you could hold the button down forever and not "fry" the pump.

there is no down trim limit. just the cylinders bottoming out

regarding your trim system, did you use the troubleshooting guide in the volvo service manual? it is quite extensive.

ewills

Recruit
you could hold the button down forever and not "fry" the pump.

there is no down trim limit. just the cylinders bottoming out

regarding your trim system, did you use the troubleshooting guide in the volvo service manual? it is quite extensive.
Oh interesting, does the pump have a pressure bypass when the cylinders bottom out? It makes a squealing noise when it gets to the bottom. And no I havnt been able to find the correct manual as my engines serial numbers are pretty much wore off the sticker.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member