Volvo Penta 2003 Injector Sleeves

braunku

Recruit
I am doing maintenance on my VP2003, to address white smoke when running.
When I remove the injectors is it required to replace the copper sleeves? Since this engine does not use copper washers that can be easily replaced or annealed, this is a little confusing to me... do you have to replace the sleeves every time the injectors are pulled? Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
If VP says they should be replaced, then my guess is yes.

That said, you can try to use old ones and if it works out your good. Don't know what motor but if injectors are easy to get to then might be worth a try

braunku

Recruit
Thanks for the reply and the welcome! The shop manual only describes a full engine rebuild, unfortunately. It does explain how to replace the sleeves. This seems like a very bad design compared to copper washers, as the sleeves require special tools to remove and install. The sleeves are flared at the base using a special tool. I did buy these tools just in case, but it seems ridiculous to replace them every time I need to pull an injector. I will try to just replace the injectors and see if I get blow bye!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
They can be a pain to remove for sure. Known them to be stubborn enough that they had to be cut out to remove them. It’s actually sometimes easier to do by taking the head off, should there be another reason to, definitely worth while. The tool for removing them can be a 50/50 for success.
All that said, I’ve also known it for them not to be removed. The injectors removed then replaced into the same place they came from.
Is the white smoke definitely injector related and not fuel pump timing related perhaps ? Is there fuel in the engine oil ?

braunku

Recruit
I have the head removed now, so I'll take your recommendation and replace the sleeves. Wish me luck! One of the injectors had carbon buildup past the seal so maybe it was leaking a little. I found other things during this maintenance (new boat to me), like the cooling lines to the exhaust elbow were almost completely blocked up (going to replace elbow). I've read elsewhere that the cooling system can cause a lot of issues on these engines so I feel good about that.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I have the head removed now, so I'll take your recommendation and replace the sleeves. Wish me luck! One of the injectors had carbon buildup past the seal so maybe it was leaking a little. I found other things during this maintenance (new boat to me), like the cooling lines to the exhaust elbow were almost completely blocked up (going to replace elbow). I've read elsewhere that the cooling system can cause a lot of issues on these engines so I feel good about that.
Yeah. The elbow is the well known common cause of issue. But suppose they are considered consumable after a while…especially in the salt. Like to be worked hard, these things. Get them up to temperature quickly and make sure she’s not running cold. If you have the crankcase breather can on her…change that often too. There is I’m sure a wee pencil anode fitted too. Make sure that’s changed often and of the suitable material for your playground ! All the best.

braunku

Recruit
Thanks. I pop-tested the injectors today and one was not firing correctly, and leaking at lower pressures. This was the one with the carbon buildup I mentioned earlier... anyway, I replaced all three nozzles/needles and they are all firing perfectly now.
I think this was the main issue, but will find out soon enough!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks. I pop-tested the injectors today and one was not firing correctly, and leaking at lower pressures. This was the one with the carbon buildup I mentioned earlier... anyway, I replaced all three nozzles/needles and they are all firing perfectly now.
I think this was the main issue, but will find out soon enough!
Sure sounds like it. Well done.