Volvo in omc labels?

SPOONMAN1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will try to give all available info & pics to see if I can get the info I need, and I'm pretty sure you guys know it. Info needed: Is this a Volvo in OMC labels or is it a true ( few parts available) OMC. Does it have the old style clutch dogs or cones? engine model# 744DPHU (1995) Drive serial #00799235

Attachments

• 100_2125 (760 x 570).jpg
    100_2125 (760 x 570).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_2126 (760 x 570).jpg
    100_2126 (760 x 570).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo in omc labels?

That is all OMC, has nothing to do with Volvo.
It does have a cone clutch however. But nothing like the SX/DP-S drives.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

It is truely an OMC product. They were made to handle the higher HP of the 460's. When properly adjusted they are almost bulletproof. Here's a good read for some of your questions:http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

There were a about 5 years or so (90-95) where OMC had a Cone-clutch drive called King Cobra that was all OMC. 90 to about 92 they were only offered in the "bigblocks" around 93 or so they started offering the "King" with the 5.8L small block.....the "Dogs" were still being used in the smaller engines.

By 94 they were pretty much all cone (OMC) clutch models...

In Dec 98 EVERYTHING [OMC stern drive] essentially became Volvo Penta.

There was also a period (around 94/95) where Volvo and OMC produced the SX identical to Volvo....it WAS Volvo)

SALE OF OMC'S JOINT VENTURE INTEREST
TO VOLVO PENTA OF THE AMERICAS

Waukegan, Ill. and Chesapeake, Va., - December 23, 1998 - Outboard Marine Corporation and Volvo Penta of the Americas, Inc. announced today that Volvo Penta has acquired OMC's interest in the Volvo Penta Marine Products L.P., a stern drive manufacturing joint venture. Terms of the agreement, which closed December 8, 1998, were not disclosed. The joint venture partnership, which manufactured stern drive engines for powerboats, was formed in 1993. Concurrently, OMC and Volvo Penta signed a long-term agreement for the supply of stern drives to OMC-owned boat companies, and in which each party agrees to supply service parts to the other.
Outboard Marine Corporation is a leading manufacturer and marketer of internationally-known boat brands, including Chris-Craft?, Four Winns?, Seaswirl?, Javelin?, Stratos?, Lowe?, Hydra-Sports?, and Princecraft?; marine accessories and marine engines, under the brand names of Johnson? and Evinrude?; and FICHT? fuel injection - the industry's premier low-emission, two-stroke engine technology.
Volvo Penta of the Americas, Inc., is a wholly owned subsidiary of AB Volvo Penta, a leading supplier of marine propulsion systems for pleasure and commercial applications, as well as heavy-duty diesel engines for industrial applications. Volvo and Volvo Penta are registered trademarks of AB Volvo, which has its core business in cars, trucks, bus, construction, marine and aerospace activities.

There's a LOT of mis-information out there in radio land....

A lot has happened since then too.

I wouldn't put a lot of money in any OMC stern drive unless it was a "joint venture" (Volvo SX ) drive.