Volvo Fuel Pump Replacement

DTechmeier

Recruit
I have a 94' Volvo 3.0 GS PMDA I/O in my boat that needs a new mechanical fuel pump. I did a little research online to find a replacement as the OEM part is obselete. What I found was to buy a 18-7281 GM fuel pump. When I removed the old fuel pump (Carter 0-3035) and matched them up, the new fuel pump ports dont line up with the old ports. I disassembled the old pump to see if it was possible to take it apart and reassemble with the ports in the direction I wanted. While the first port I was able to move to any direction because of the number of bolt holes (6), the second port (located in the "top cap) could only be turned 180 degrees, neither of them lining up with my steel fuel lines.

Couple questions:

1. Did I buy the right fuel pump?

2. If not, which is the right fuel pump?

3. Can i make this fuel pump work by changing over to flexible fuel lines, with the correct pressure rating for the lines?

Thank you in advance to any advice.

Derek Techmeier

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Fuel Pump Replacement

The 3853970 PN shows obsolete, what it doesn't show is that it was replaced by 826493 which is a good number.

DTechmeier

Recruit

Don - thanks for the response.

Yeah, I found that number as well which is supposed to be the same fuel pump as the 18-7281. I could find one of those easier than the 826493, as i dont have a dealer near me for parts for Volvo. So when I ordered one online, I had to wait until it showed up to match them. The ports on the old fuel pump are 180 degrees apart. the new one has the ports one bolt hole apart, with six bolt holes making them either about 60 degrees apart right now, or if i turned the top cap, which only has two bolts they would be only 120 degrees, both not working with the steel lines.

So I'm not sure what to do here.

Thanks again in advance for any advice.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I guess the obvious thing to do would be to order the correct pump from a Volvo online dealer.