Volvo Duo prop broken part in front of bellow

nxbusa

Cadet
I have a 91 boat with a Volvo duoprop outdrive. It has been painted, so I have no way to get any model numbers from it. My problem is the part the biggest bellow goes to is broken on the boat side, not the outdrive side. First, I need to know what the part is called so I can find a new or replacement part. Then, I need to know how hard this is going to be to fix. I work on alot of cars, but boats aren't my thing. If I can give any more info that may be of help, please let me know. I have only had this boat for 2 weeks and in the water 2 times. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Duo prop broken part in front of bellow

Sounds like you have a 290 STYLE DP, but you need to post what engine you have, model or SN's will help.

nxbusa

Cadet

The engine is a 350. I was told it was repowered three years ago. I can go look for SNs right now.

nxbusa

Cadet

Ok, here are the numbers from the top cover of the engine.

Engine info
570AYPS
B68273

Drive info
DP-A
310210674S

It is dark out so I hope this info is right. Kinda hard to read with a flashlight.

Don S

Yea, that helps narrow it down, assuming it's a Galaxy boat about 26' and you probably live somewhere in Ohio if the boat is near it's original home.
Anyway, the flywheel cover is what you need. You say it's broken, what happend? Did you by some chance run the engine with the drive up?

You need item #1 at least.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/FLYW...0925406--**********.709846939--view_id.314400

Yea, to replace it you must pull the engine out of the boat.

nxbusa

Cadet

Yep, 26ft Galaxy. Just got the boat to its new home in GA. I haven't run with the drive up. Drive was all the way down, I have only adjusted the trim tabs. I was told when I bought the boat to run with the drive all the way down. It seemed to come apart at cruise (aboat 3200 rpm) Maybe this was caused from a u-joint fault? Do you have any idea how much that part cost? Thanks for you help in locating this part.

nxbusa

Cadet

Maybe I looked at the question wrong about running with the drive up. I have had the engine running with the drive up, but not in gear with the drive up. Is this what killed my boat?

Don S

That is probably what happened, from your discription, I can't see it to say for sure.
The ujoints turn any time the engine is running, not just when in gear.

nxbusa

Cadet

All I can say is, Me doing stupid things always seem to make me smarter.

nxbusa

Cadet

Just an update on my problem. I had the engine pulled out and found that the driveshaft bearings were shot (both of them). I think the previous owners did not know there was a greas fitting, as the entire shaft was dry. I was lucky engough to find a great used bellhousing on Ebay that came with the drive shaft. I have the motor installed back into the boat now and should have all of the inside put back in by this coming weekend. Maybe it wasn't me being stupid that broke the boat, but you won't catch me running the engine without the drive being down! Thanks for your help in finding out which part I needed Don.

KJSmitty

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All I can say is, Me doing stupid things always seem to make me smarter.

Now there is an honest man...:)

Don't worry - you are not alone there.
When I was younger I would semi joke about always learning the hard way.. Obviously we live and hopefully learn, but experience is experience - whether you know what you're doing the first time or not. :D

The internet and forums like this one definitely reduce the chance of not having most of the answers/knowledge prior to tackling a job however.

Good luck