Volvo Dp-D outdrive install

danyus1

Cadet
I'm having trouble getting the outdrive spline to set. I feel like I get the splines to match up, but can't get the drive to actually slide on. Anyone have any ways of making this process easier? I've put a ton of marine lube on the both ends and I just cant get the unit to push on? everything looks like it's straight and should slide right on. I'm currently using a motorcycle jack and ratchet strap to hold the unit in place. Any advice would be appreciated! thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

put your hand in the bellows with the u-joints and the drive in neutral, slowly turn the input yoke until the splines line up, wiggle it a bit while pushing on the drive with your belly.

once everything lines up, swear alot because you just mushed your hand between the drive and the steering helmet

I use a block of wood on the ground under the skeg and rock the drive forward. there is a halo tool that makes life easier by hanging the drive from the pivot pin holes in the transom shield, however I have never needed it.

danyus1

Cadet
I was able to get it on. first we put a 2x4 block under the skeg. Realized when I tried to push the unit, the u joints would bend causing the fittings not to match up. Ended up with an extra set of hands (substituted for using my belly) and had them hold the u joints straight, then took a block of wood and lightly tapped the unit until it starting moving forward. It's all about how you get the splines to match up and get them to set the first couple inches, then just slides right on. Thanks for advice.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Glad you got it on. While you push the drive on have a helper turn the prop shaft slowly....

pgallipoli

Cadet
That's a good job for two people wearing steel toe'd boots! Block of wood was how we always did it, but do be careful a hundred pound knife can slice off toes and concrete. :) Best of luck