Volvo aq231/285 Vibration Hard Over

Hook'd

Seaman
The boat is running great and I'm ticking through the issues. During my sea trial yesterday, my previous concern with intermediate bearings seems alleviated. However, hard over in either direction there is a significant vibration in the wheel. Only occurs at the steepest portion of the turn.

The mechanic who listened to the intermediate for me said it sounds like the ujoints.

I am pulling the upper assembly to swap the bellows and will inspect then. How do I diagnose bad ujoints/parts....other than rust.

Curious on potential cost I started looking online...ouch. I recall a post saying there were alternate sources.

So, how do I diagnose, and best source of parts, procedures, any advice.

Thanks,

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
We had what we thought was bad u-joints for the longest time. Ended up being a broken spring on the damper plate.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the first things that come to mind : u-joints, pds bearings, coupler plate

to inspect the u-joints, there should be absolutely zero play between u-joints crosses and yokes, as in none percievable at all while prying with a small pry bar. with the upper off, there should be zero, as in zero play of the PDS shaft.

Last edited:

Hook'd

Seaman
Where is the coupler plate? Same as damper plate? Where/what are those? I was looking at diagrams without much luck.

Scott, We listened for PDS bearing noise at the ramp, but heard nothing. Probably become more clear when I pull the upper unit to change the bellows. Just want to have the parts on hand.

Thanks,

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The damper plate is mounted on the flywheel.

First time I have ever heard it called a coupler plate but it would be the same thing.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
We listened for PDS bearing noise at the ramp, but heard nothing. Probably become more clear when I pull the upper unit to change the bellows.

agreed, until you pull the upper or the whole drive to check you wont know

also, get a water inlet casting, I would be willing to bet money that yours is corroded (I think they are white metal). I have never found one yet that isnt corroded.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I thought in your other thread you detected bearing noise? If that's the case and you are going to pull the engine, you can carefully inspect the damper at the same time.

Hook'd

Seaman
Scott, can I find the inlet casting part number in a schematic somewhere?

Bruce, heard something in the first go round, but then had a reputable mechanic listen and say he heard nothing significant. So 2/3 mechanics say no issue....lol.

I figure pulling the upper drive will let me look at all of the outer stuff. Is it possible to remove the outer bearing with just the upper pulled?

I'm gonna make a outdrive stand anyhow, but just curious if it's even necessary to pull the whole drive because that will just lead to....more work.

Anyhow, all good fun and practice for me as this is just one of my 2 boats.

Thanks for everything,

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
No need to pull the whole drive. Just pull the upper gearcase off.

Hook'd

Seaman
Bruce, I was looking at the bearing removal instructions included here, and can't see how you would remove the outer bearing without removing the shaft?