volvo aq125a

mazzen66

Seaman Apprentice
Turn the key and nothing, batteries fully charged, new ignition, checked neutral switch,cleaned all conections,and get my 12.6 volts to the starter,and ignition on starter cilinoid, also have jump the starter and engine turns over.but back to start with key and nothing.getting juice thru the 40 amp breaker also. Don't have much hair left .need another brain to help. Thanks Mazz

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
explain in detail how you jump started the boat, there may be a clue there

mazzen66

Seaman Apprentice
Remote starter switch, poss on starter and the ignition tab on the starter. I bench tested it first.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
do you have a relay somewhere on the boat in addition to the solenoid?
Or is it the simple system shown below which makes the ignition switch fail?

battery + --------------key switch------------neutral switch----------------solenoid terminal

battery - --------------------------------------------------------------------------solenoid metal frame

mazzen66

Seaman Apprentice
Yes ,a relay by the starter ,it hooks to a ground on the engine and to the 40 amp circuit on the engine and also to the dist coil and to the starter's ignition. I have changed it out but dont have the original one in it .just bought one at napa and it worked .

mazzen66

Seaman Apprentice
I also have jump past the neutral switch in the controls and both end get power.

mazzen66

Seaman Apprentice
4 . 1 power 1 power to motor 1 for starter wire 1 open. I'll send photo.again Thank you for your time.

mazzen66

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Here's some shots . I've unwrapped the wires.

Attachments

• photo238074.jpg
    photo238074.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 0
  • photo238075.jpg
    photo238075.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

I would get to the wire on either side of the ignition switch/neutral switch combination and jump those.
Your solenoid and starter are good from your previous test (good news since that's the most expensive repair).
Put your small wire jumper on the ignition switch positive, jumper to other side of neutral switch.
JUST MOMENTARILY

I'll bet the ignition switch is old.

Attachments

• photo238098.jpg
    photo238098.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1

mazzen66

Seaman Apprentice
I have already tried the jump past the neutral switch,and installed a new ignition and still nothing.

mazzen66

Seaman Apprentice
I will see if the relay is installed correctly, as per drawing. Thank you sir .

mazzen66

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for the info it worked ,the relay was hooked up wrong.yahoooo! And still have some hair left.what a relief, well I fixed alot of stuff in the process.