Volvo AQ125 Exhaust Alignment

510man

Cadet
I have a Volvo AQ125 on a 270 sterndirve. It appears that this unit is a transom mount (no motor mounts. The Exhaust mainfold outlet does not align with the exhaust pipe. It looks like the whole engine twisted. Is this possible? If so, how do I straighten it up?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo AQ125 Exhaust Alignment

Yes, it's possible. There is a rear motor mount (Item 83 in the drawing) that screws into the transom shield, then sits in a hole in the bottom of the engine bellhousing.<br />When the mount breaks (Rubber comes loose from the steel stud) and the rubber sealing rings around the bellhousing are flat from age, it will allow the engine to sag down and twist. This also causes damage to the ujoints due to missalignment.<br />You really need to get it fixed before you use it again. When you pull the engine out to replace it, pull the bellhousing off and check the bearings to make sure they are smooth and haven't been damaged.<br /><br />
125%20rear%20mount.png

510man

Cadet

Thanks for the info.<br /><br />I just got the boat. I saw that "bumper" and thought there's no way that it holds the weight of the engine. Nobody would engineer something like that. And.........here we are. :)<br /><br />So I have to remove the engine to get this thing out? I can't lift the engine with a hoist and remove it? Seems like a lot of trouble for a motor mount. <br /><br />Also, when I replace this mount does the bellhousing simply line up to the block and align the engine? It looks like the top of the engine rotated to the starboard side. I would think this mount would lift the front of the engine but not twist it. I could be wrong. this would be first Volvo engine and my first anything without motor mounts. Still can't believe the engine just flies. <br /><br />Are there urethane mounts available? I'm reading your tag line thinking urethane would be the "fix it right" solution. <br /><br />Thanks again for your help.

Don S

They haven't used that design in 30 years, and that mount lasted that long. How long are you planning on owning that boat?

510man

Cadet

Boat is a 1983. It was free so I may not fix it at all. May not be worth the trouble. <br /><br />Just thought I'd go urethane and then never do it again. No telling how long it's been in need of repair. The boat has been sitting for several years. It starts up but needs a tune up, carb rebuild, and a timing belt. Beyond there, I'm not sure what else. Clearly this motor mount a a couple bellows, etc.<br /><br />I thought about resealing the transom too. That would allow me to see if there's any rot. Assuming I remove the outdrive, I'm guessing the motor mount in question could be replaced while the engine is on a hoist? <br /><br />Your thoughts (including sinking the boat!!)?

Don S

Just thought I'd go urethane and then never do it again.
Like I said, they don't make urethane mounts, and how would you attach the urethane to the stud<br />(NOTE: rubber is Soft so it doesn't transfer noise and vibration to the rest of the boat) but even if you do put something together that will work you will be much better off. Without the mount in there, the ujoints, the bearings in the bellhousing and those in the drive are going to be in a very severe strain and won't last very long. Don't assume it's been like that for a while, it may have just broke which is why it was free.<br />If a new boat was free, it would be expensive to keep up.<br />An old used up boat given away is a LOT more expensive to make right and TRY to keep up.<br /><br />A free boat wouldn't be free if everything worked and it was in great shape.

510man

Cadet

I'm not using the boat. I towed it home and am simply going through it. <br /><br />As for urethane, I didn't understand that you were saying it's not available. If it's not available it's unlikely I'd bother to fabricate something. I'd just buy the Volvo rubber one and go with it. At $43 it's not worth fabricating.

510man

Cadet

With the weather warming up I'm preparing to replace the above bellhousing rubber mount. <br /><br />I preparing to do that work, I've noticed the engine sag has caused the lower part of the sterndrive to separate from the transom. Is there a gasket set that seals the sterndrive bracket to the transom or is it assembled with a sealant? I see a chaulk-like product that appears to be a factory sealant. Looks kind of like plumbers putty but that's not what it is. <br /><br />The above post reads I need to remove the engine to replace the bellhousing mount. Would seem a good time to repair the transom/sterndrive seal too but I'm not sure how to seal it.<br /><br />Any advice is appreciated.

Don S

I've noticed the engine sag has caused the lower part of the sterndrive to separate from the transom
The engine mount being bad wouldn't affect that at all. You would still have the same weight on the transom, bad or good mount. I hate to say this, but it sounds like the transom is rotten allowing the bolts to pull through. Transom repair is the only fix, since with that kind of mount system, the tranom is the only thing that holds the engine up.

510man

Cadet

That doesn't sound good :-( I guess I'll pull it out and see. If it's rotten I guess I'll have some parts to sell on ebay. I'm not sure it worth that degree of repair. <br /><br />Assuming the damage is not that significant, do you scrape out the rot and fill it with Kitty Hair? Probably some specialty products to kill any fungus and harden the remaining wood? <br /><br />Is there a gasket set that seals the sterndrive to the transom? Or is the chalking all that seals it from the outside? Looks like some specialty chalking product.