Volvo AQ Trim Module

boatrup

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone
For those of you with AQ drives, I could use a bit of help. The trim sensor module part # 857534 on my boat is bad. The trim limit, and trailer (max lift) limit relays still work, but the gauge does not. I have already replaced the sensor. I have tested the gauge and know it is good. So it is that middle man module that is bad. I know I can buy a used one, but really don't want to do that, as it'll be likely to fail as well.

So, I am going to build a replacement module. Unfortunately, without a working reference I need someone who has a working one to take an ohm meter and measure the input to the module and output from the module. With that I will be able to design and make a replacement module. The original module is potted with an epoxy, so I cannot simply disassemble and duplicate it. For the heck of it, I did email Volvo Penta to see if they would give me the schematics so I could build an exact replica, but I doubt they will provide that.

Is anyone willing to take those measurements for me?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
With drive down measure sensor resistance. With drive up, measure sensor resistance

boatrup

Seaman Apprentice
With drive down measure sensor resistance. With drive up, measure sensor resistance
Does that module really just output the same as its input?
I knew I could measure the sensor resistance myself. I just thought the module output something different and I needed to know the correlation between the input and output.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
No, the module just triggers the relay at 7 degrees up and converts the output to a simple ratio for a gauge

If you look, you can even find NOS modules and gauges.

I did for my Square AQ290DP trim gauge

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
How much is a new one? You not only need to design it, you need to build it for the marine environment.

A couple of years ago I looked for a module to control an electric fuel pump when converting from a manual fuel pump. I could not find one for the marine environment and went back to mechanical fuel pump.

boatrup

Seaman Apprentice
How much is a new one? You not only need to design it, you need to build it for the marine environment.

A couple of years ago I looked for a module to control an electric fuel pump when converting from a manual fuel pump. I could not find one for the marine environment and went back to mechanical fuel pump.
The problem is, there is no new one anymore. If there was I would absolutely buy it. Though, if I do make a new one, I will gladly make them available for anyone who wants one.
Marine environment is pretty easy for these things, I'll do exactly what volvo did. I will just pour epoxy all around it and make it a solid epoxy block, after first conformal coating the PCB. Thats all volvo did with the original module, and why I cannot take it apart to fix it.
Fortunately electronic design is something I have a lot of experience with.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if you bypass the block and just run a gauge, just know that at 8 degrees, you stop