Volvo 5.0 GL-E with SX-M 1.66 drive - Won't move faster than 3 mph plus whine noise

Leo87

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone, yesterday I had an issue with my friend's boat and I can't figure what the problem might be.
It is a Volvo 5.0 GL-E with SX-M 1.66 drive (2005), with 80 hours. He is the first owner and all required maintenance has been done. The latest was new gimbal bearing and bellows. This was done by a Volvo dealer this past June.
The boat was running fine but all of the sudden it just went from cruising at 30mph to barely 3mph. RPMs stayed high and with a whining sound. I brought the RPMs down and speed stayed at 3mph, and noise went away. Temperature and oil pressure were normal.I was able to get to the dock and back into the slip. No problem engaging in reverse or forward. As soon as I would try to speed up, the RPMs would go up, and the noise comes back with no change in speed (stays at 3mph).
Checked the prop and everything looks normal. Any ideas of what it could be? Thank you for your help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo 5.0 GL-E with SX-M 1.66 drive - Won't move faster than 3 mph plus whine noi

Ayuh,.... It's probably a spun prop hub, or a stripped out motor coupler,...

Leo87

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo 5.0 GL-E with SX-M 1.66 drive - Won't move faster than 3 mph plus whine noi

Good suggestions. Hopefully it's just the prop. I'll check later today and report back. Thank you for the quick reply.

Leo87

Seaman Apprentice

Bond-o, you were right. It was the prop. The hub was in really bad shape. Replaced it with a SS 4 blade one that I had from a previous boat and it's running better than ever. Thank you again for your help.