Volvo 5.0 fuel issue?

tmpiazz

Recruit
I have a 2000 Volvo Penta, SX out drive in a 22 foot Striper. I have put over 1000 hours on the boat since new. Running it in freshwater only several times a month. Always serviced yearly and never any issues. About a year ago my parents became ill and fishing went on hold to care for them. Now I have problems of starting. If the boat sits for a few days and I start it in the driveway, it starts up just fine. Two or three pumps in neutral then it starts right up. When I tow it to my fishing locations, perhaps 40 minutes or more away, it will not start. I have taken it to my regular shop and they say it starts for them just fine. Then I bring it home, sure enough it starts great in the driveway. At the lake, however, it will not start. I have gotten it to start but I have to crank and crank while pumping the throttle. That takes five minutes or more where it will kick over like it is starting but then die. Like it is not getting fuel. Yet when I take it home, let it sit for a day or so, it starts right up in the driveway. Must be fuel, but what?

tmpiazz

Recruit
Re: Volvo 5.0 fuel issue?

FYI...just heard back from the shop. They said that the fuel water seperator filter was clean, but they changed it anyway. They checked and no water in the tank. This is the third time the shop has looked at it. Starts just fine for them. I am sure that when I trail or it to the lake I will have the same issue. Any thoughts?

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you done a compression check?

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a thought.
When it is in your driveway, is it level or tilted? How about the location where it will not crank?
Is it the same as at home?

tmpiazz

Recruit

Just a thought.
When it is in your driveway, is it level or tilted? How about the location where it will not crank?
Is it the same as at home?

It is level in the driveway as well as at the shop. I try to start it at the lake, on the water at the launch ramp dock. On the times I was able to start it at the lake' , after cranking and cranking, it was fine for rest of the day. Once it is started right off the trailer it never fails again for the rest of the day. When cranking it at the lake, it sounds to me like it is not getting fuel. The times I did get it started I had to pump the throttle while cranking. It is like the float bowl has been drained. I'd guess electric fuel pump except it starts OK at home. The only difference seems to be the drive to the lake. Could that cause the float bowl to drain, or the fuel pump to fail?:frusty::frusty: