Volvo 290 DP-B ?????? LOST

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo 290 DP-B ?????? LOST

Those parts sure ain't cheap. Maybe your local friendly machine shop can weld in filler and machine the teeth back in at a more affordable price.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Gear set are not repairable Steve.

Yes, a DP-C1 upper will work.

Just a little more info as per my long post above.................. The SX -M DPS-M and the AQ series uppers from 290A on are almost identical internally.

They share a majority of parts. You would not think so as they look so different because of the shape of the housing. There is no intermediate housing in the SX and DPS models.

Last edited:

454bbc

Seaman Apprentice

Well guys I think i got lucky. I picked up a dp-c1 up for $500 in great shape and fresh water. Thought that might be hard to beat! I will let everyone know my outcome of the swap. I will also post pics. of the housing from this damage!

THANK YOU! To everyone who has replied and gave great info!

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Great find on getting the C1 upper for $500!

Need any help, let me know.....

DO NOT FORGET to put a new bellow on AND make sure to reshim the upper to the intermediate.

Last edited by a moderator:

454bbc

Seaman Apprentice

Here I am again lost. Got my C1 upper in all happy and excited about this ordeal finally and went out in the shop to put it on and get things rolling again and this is were i am. I believe the bearing that meets the intermediate is bigger than the one off of my dp-b upper. can anyone give me any guidence on were to go next??? pictures to follow

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Well according to my documentation the only changes made from the DP-A2 model to the DP-B was the steel sliding sleeve. The driven gear bearings were changed in the DP-A1.

With your call out that the upper will not fit, I looked at some exploded views and was shocked at what I am looking at and still cannot believe what I am seeing.

The DP-B is using the same outdated bearing as the old 280 and 290 uppers.

Wow, those bearings which use bearing sleeve 832644 were swapped out two models previous.

In theory, the 290 upper will fit right on but you need a cover as the top bearing cap was different.

So the direct swap out after going over all the documentation would be from a SP-A or a DP-A. An upper from a A1 or A2 will not work.

Is your old unit rebuild-able?

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

Exactly what parts do not work together?
I now see that the bearings, part numbers ,etc, are different, DP-A & DP-B look similar and DP-A1 & DP-B1 look similar.
I thought 454 got a whole upper gear box? Where does it not fit together with the rest of his out drive?
I'm real curious since I have twins , one DP-A & one DP-B1,,, I would prefer they were the exact same inside to make parts inventory and ordering easier.

454bbc

Seaman Apprentice

Everything about the dp-c1 I bought looks perfect for my application. It slides right on and lines up perfectly but the bearing that meets the inter. housing is about .060 to big. If I cant come up with another upper gear assembly I am thinking about setting up inter. housing on a mill here at my work and boring it out to the size needed? but im not real sure if I will be hurting anything else in the process of that. I am at a total stop once again. I have never been so confused in my life with a boat lol! Bill has helped me a TON and hope he don't wanna give up on me yet haha!!

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

OK Thanks for the explanation. Everyone is learning on this one!

454bbc

Seaman Apprentice

I wonder if I can take my still good bearing off of my dp-b and put it on to the dp-c1 so it will fit.......?????

454bbc

Seaman Apprentice

from doing some rough measureing with calipers and mic's. if i take my bearing and bearing sleeve (which i THINK makes up for size difference in bearings) and remove the bigger sized bearing off of the dp-c1 upper and transfer bearing and sleeve from my dp-b to the dp-c1 it looks as if everything will work. Anyone else have a suggestion on that? going to start the swap saturday morning and see were I stand on it. Im keeping my fingers crossed for some kind of break on this.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

TOTALLY different bearings. You cannot do that. It is impossible to make a working unit that way

Get a hold of Rod and see if he will trade you straight up for the DP-A upper and then you will have a direct swap.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Easiest and safest bet, is to randomly over-shim underneath the drive gear bearing, then lightly clamp the transmission in place (no O-rings installed), then take many feeler gauge readings from around the perimeter of gap where the two mate. Use the measurement that comes up most consistently.
Remove the transmission, take an entire shim pack measurement, reduce the shim pack value by the feeling gauge sum (this puts you at zero gap/zero squeeze), and then add back in .003" for the final squeeze.
Once the transmission is bolted back down firmly w/ O-rings in place....., the gap should be close to ZERO, but with a .003" squeeze that is undetectable from the outside.

454bbc

Seaman Apprentice

I got er it went flawlessly!! I cant believe it! all im waiting on now is seals,bellow,and a top cap for a dp-c1 found a crack were somebody had cracked it well before me. here are pictures after the swap out!

454bbc

Seaman Apprentice

Well believe it or not after all the ups and downs she is back in one piece after all going to be putting it on tomorrow or Sunday and be happy happy again!

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

Good Luck:joyous:

454bbc

Seaman Apprentice

K-2 what do you think about what all I have done?

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

Honestly I don't know what interchanges, what you did sounds good and I hope it works.
As I said I have an A and a B1 , and I'm still trying to figure out what is different and non interchangeable.