volvo 280 Can't get it down

Nordic 26

Cadet
I have a 1983 Volvo 280 with hydraulic tilt trim. Motor on top, metal housing. Two switch blocks. ONe is up and down, I think the other is a selinoid (not sure)The down switch operates the motor, but no movement in the outdrive. If I by bass the switch and go direct from the battery to the "green for down" wire I get the motor spinning but no movement in the outdrive. Anyone have any suggestion about what to do to ther this thing in the down position for the winter?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo 280 Can't get it down

There were 2 types of trim for the 280's, The AQ280T and the AQ280PT. The PT has the trim cylinders inclosed in some outgrowths on the outside of the transom shield, the T model has something else. I have seen one PT aout 10 years ago and never seen a T. Neither of these are documented by Volvo as to repair procedures wiring diagrams etc. So what you need to do is post pics of your drive, and the transom shield along with pics of the pump and the inner transom plate. Then see what we can match up. I have a feeling the 280T is the same as a 270. Pics will tell.

Nordic 26

Cadet
Re: volvo 280 Can't get it down

Thanks

I will get pix in the next day or two and post.