Volvo 270T...Hinge Pin

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Need some help, I got the hinge pin bolts out, one was a nightmare, now I am stuck.<br /><br />Any one have any tips or tricks to get the hinge pin screws out?<br /><br />I put some heat on it but am afraid to get it too hot and melt the nylon bushing.<br />This is a saltwater outdrive.<br />Thanks!!!

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Volvo 270T...Hinge Pin

270 T you say. Well it's hopeless, it'll never come out. As a gesture of friendship, I'll send a courier to pick up the scrap outdrive ;) .<br /><br />Seriously, use heat and sacrifice the bush. I soaked mine for a few weeks and then hit it with oxy. <br /><br />Aldo

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

CC, are you refering to the hinge pins as item 44 below?? If so, and the bolts are item 45, what are the hinge pin screws?????<br /><br />
270T%20Transomshield.png

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don:<br />On the end of part number 44 there is a flat blade screw driver slot, after this is removed, I have a slide hammer with a 5/16 bolt that screws in there to jerk the pin out.<br /><br />I have never had a problem working on fresh water Volvo but this was an experience today getting one of the bolts out.(number 45)<br />This O/D has less than 100 hours of salt use, did Volvo use some type of sealer on the bolts that gets hard with age?

Don S

Welcome to the wonderful world of salt water boat repair. Truthfully, I have never worked on boats that have only been in fresh water.......man, that must be just plain ole easy work.<br />What I normally do with the pins is turn the drive all the way one direction, then heat the transom shild with an oxy/act torch and drive the pin in toward the bellows (now you know why you turn the steering hard one way) then turn the other direction and do the same.<br />I have a 1/2" brass drift that I use to knock the pins with. I always replace the plastic busings in the drive, and clean the corrosion out of the fork before slipping the new busings in with lots of grease on them.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and sometimes ya just heat the living ell out of it and hook up the air chiesel with a blunt tip and drive them in. I have had a few that a 1 1/8 prop shaft and a 10 pound hammer were required,<br /> man aint salt great.<br /> wait till ya have to remove the pin that holds the tilt cyl to the shield. :) :) <br /> then the customer comes back with the internet flat rate figgues.

Don S

Man rodbolt, I wasn't going for the air chiesel and smoke wrench all in the same post.......People will think we have no fear of breaking things.<br />Don't forget the last thread about heat and hammers Check here <br /><br />
then the customer comes back with the internet flat rate figgues.
I just tell them we are in the real world, not the internet. And if they can get it done cheaper and better and at flatrate on the internet to go ahead and have them do the job.

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well Don and Rodbolt you guys earn your money.<br /><br />In the past 25 years I don't know how many fresh water Volvo I have done minor repairs to. And all were simple, but today was unreal I spent at least 2 hours getting one of the bolts out. I ended out making a chisel and cutting the washer,out from under the bolt.<br />Then heating the bolt red hot and driving a 7MM short Allen wrench in the hole. Then red hot again and drowning the head with oil to retemper the bolt head. Put a socket on the short allen wrench,then it started to turn.<br />Thanks for the help.

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

270 T you say. Well it's hopeless, it'll never come out. As a gesture of friendship, I'll send a courier to pick up the scrap outdrive.<br /><br />If it comes apart in several pieces I will be asking for your address. :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahahaha<br /> yep you fresh water guys got it good.<br /> try the pins that hold the tilt cylinder to the shield after 10 years of salt. or try removing the tiller from the steering yoke after ten years of salt and the fish box drain dripping on it. then do it with twins :) :) .<br /> its right upwith someone telling me they can change a shift rod in a late 80's early 90's yamaha in salt water in 2 hours. I tell them to get after it :) :) .

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

not just twins. jack shafted twins with a fishbox on the transom in salt water. I have learned to hate carolina classics and albermarles. and now that Brunswick has purchased albermarle we will see black anchors in them instead of volvo's