Volvo 230a overheating

Dalbery

Cadet
I have a 1992 Excel 18sx with a Volvo 230A and a SP outdrive. This boat is new to me and it overheats. It is fresh water cooled and the circulation pump seems to be working fine. I do not believe I'm getting raw water to the engine. The fella I bought it from replaced the raw water impeller, but could he have put it in wrong? I've done impellers on outboards and I know it's fairly critical to spin the cover the correct way to avoid damage at start up. When I run this on muffs, I get no water coming out the back, so I believe my problem is somewhere in the water "pick up" Where do I start looking first?
Thank You. IMG_4185.jpgIMG_4186.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Remove the cap off the sea strainer. Install muffs and start the motor, does water fill the sea strainer?

If No, remove hose going to pump from drive. With motor OFF and water hose ON does water come out?

Dalbery

Cadet
I already know that there is no water going to the strainer. And I assume I can disconnect the hard line from the inlet side of the pump rather than trying to figure out where the actual hose connect to the hard line? Thank you for the advice. When it cools off this evening I will get you an answer.

alldodge

Staff member
And I assume I can disconnect the hard line from the inlet side of the pump rather than trying to figure out where the actual hose connect to the hard line?

Correct, want to see if there is a clog between drive and pump

Since the motor has run and no water to the strainer, now wonder if the impeller remains intact, no damage

Take the cover off the pump and bump the starter to see if it turns

Dalbery

Cadet
OK. So it's finally 100 degrees or a bit less here. I pulled my intake tube off and put the muffs on high. No water!! So thank you very much for the so far simple diagnosis. Can I put compressed air or water in this tube and try to "blow" the blockage out or is there something between the pump and the outdrive that can be broke?

Attachments

• photo335688.jpg
    photo335688.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Start at the fitting on the swivel tube on the drive

Dalbery

Cadet
I'm not familiar with that (swivel tube on the out drive). Do I need to drop the lower unit to access that?

Dalbery

Cadet
Okay, I put a garden hose in the raw water hose end on the engine side. I got good flow out the lower unit. I hooked my muffs up and still no water top side. Are there any special, better fitting muffs for these SP outdrives that seal better. Maybe my generic ones just aren't cutting it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
go to the fitting at the top of the swivel tube on the outdrive (just under the u-joint bellows and replace it. it will be corroded as heck