Voltage Regulator 35 Amp Alternator 1988 V6 225. No Purple Wire

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
The voltage regulator I am replacing has a purple wire, but the 586272 regulator that I have to replace it does not. That part number crosses to 583689 or Sierra 18-5832 The new regulator was out of the box and didn't come with any instructions. I just want to confirm that the purple wire on the voltage regulator is no longer needed and the purple wire in the engine harness and the purple wire on the 4 wire VRO pump just get connected at the terminal strip attached to the regulator.

Rustywrench

Petty Officer 1st Class
The purple (drain wire) was done away with. If it is contained in a connector nothing needs to be done. If it is a separate wire it needs to be tied off where it will not get tangled in any moving parts. This is per the instructions that should come with the OEM part.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
When the VRO pump was redesigned from a 3 wire to 4 wire pump the purple wire was added to the 4 pin plug and terminated on the terminal block along with the regulator purple and engine harness purple. I can see where the purple wire on the regulator may no longer be needed, and was eliminated, but how is the VRO sensor going to function properly if the purple wire is connected to nothing? There is still a purple wire in the wiring harness. I would think the two wires would still need to be connected. I read the same thing you posted, in the Sierra catalog. I just can't make any sense of it. I don't want to run the risk of not getting the oil alarm, if the pump malfunctions.

Rustywrench

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am confused. The terminal board should still have two purple wires left after the rec/rec wire is gone? Purple is switched battery power from the key. That would supply power to the VRO. Maybe I forgot something, I do not have a manual in front of me. I got my information from the OEM part note.
Hopefully someone else has the rest of the story!

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
Yes. I agree that the purple wire from the key switch should remain connected to the VRO purple wire, at the terminal strip. I just don't understand what they are trying to say in the instructions. If running premix you could disconnect those wires, but not with the VRO. At least, that is how I see it.