VolPent OutDrive DP-SM Huge intermediate oil leak (emulsified)

Boaterguy65

Cadet
I have a post 2000 5.7 volvo penta whos out drive has a huge oil leak after the nOOb went fwd and reverse at low tide on some rocks bending the props. The leak is in the intermediate section and comming out from the bellows area and thru the shift mechanism thru hole when trimmed down. Can I pull the intermediate gearbox and reseal it without the whole unit being pulled? I saw the sticky for the older models, how about this one. Prod Model 3858913
DP-SM ratio 1:85
Whats the usual culprit in a case like this?
Does water getting in the bellows go into the upper gearbox?
Where would oil leak from at the fwd, upper, intermediate gearbox near the bellows?

help?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: VolPent OutDrive DP-SM Huge intermediate oil leak (emulsified)

Sounds like you have a hole in the bellows, and yes, water in the bellows will get into the drive, and push gear lube back out into the bellows. Along with a new bellows, you will need ujoint assembly, gimbal bearing, front seal in the upper drive and probably the yoke that the seal rides on, crush sleeve, screw, seals, orings, gear lube and..................... Since your location says "keys" I have to assume you are boating in salt water.

Boaterguy65

Cadet

I saw the sticky and photo on how to reseal the bellows without taking the unit off, can I do that with a DP-SM?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No, you have to remove the complete outdrive to replace the bellows (and the seals and whatever else is bad), nt the upper.

Boaterguy65

Cadet

I dont have a hoist or anything, can I do this by taking the lower unit off then the upper gearcase then get to the gimbal and shaft? I have no prob with U-Joints Im ASE master Tech, A&P, and got penta tools and the PDF manual of the parts breakdown. I'll shim it seal it and replace any bearings to do the job right, just need one thing.....

Anyone got a link to a DP-SM PDF shop manual? I can trade ya the Workshop Manual for the 280, 280-DP, 285, 290, 290-DP, SP-A, SP-C, DP-A, DP-B, DP-C.

I take it the DP-S series is new? I'll take pics of the teardown for everyone.