vista 268 - Loose or broken Wires near propeller?

Hi All

Getting our 2005 Vista 268 ready for spring launch. While cleaning and checking the underside, propeller area, etc,noticed some wires that have either come loose or snapped? They look like grounding wires but unsure. Wonder if folks on this thread may know what the are, if really just a loose grounding wire our larger issue. Trying to get a mechanic over to take a look at it, as we are obviously worried about launching. But just thought I would check on this forum to see if folks know what are the purpose/use for these wires. Attached a few pictures for reference. Wires are on both the port and starboard side. But the two on the starboard side look disconnected or snapped?
appreciate any feedback. Thanks!624B02FD-FEAB-4097-AA37-2FD8E12864C0.jpegE1157DAE-C0FE-4275-A89D-F59D07641A47.jpegE7B04F7D-FC7A-4FD5-B8D2-33C045FEE244.jpeg

Bonding wires. Replace them
Thanks Scott, any idea if the sections can be repaired/replaced or is this a much larger job? Working on getting a mechanic to the boat to look at it, however trying to get an understanding of extend of repair as may have to postpone launch this week ☹️ if fix will take time. And postponing this time of year, likely means a month or so delay with how busy Marina is. But rather be safe than sorry.

Received an initial message back this am, after quick look at pictures mechanic believes just grounding wires and not to worry, ok to launch, can be address during haul out at end of season. Not sure he can get to see in person as too busy. Did ask about if temp repair was possible but have not heard back. After reading about grounding and bonding wires worried that launching is not a good idea.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Those tie together the alu components to keep them at the same electrical potential and reduce corrosion. This is especially important for boats moored in the water. I wouldn’t launch the boat before repairing that.

Bonding wires. Replace them
you want to fix that before you put the boat in the water.
Thanks, that was my thinking, launch is end of day ☹️. have No idea if this is a big job or small repair, any idea? Calling around to see if can find anyone to come to the boat but if a big job and/or a quick patch/ repair is not an option, will go ahead and cancel the launch.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Also replace the anode on the bottom of the transom mount it looks pretty deteriorated. The one on the front of the lower unit looks ok.
Repair; it’s just a matter of getting the parts & if the bolts come out easy. I would put Evinrude gasket sealer on the bolt threads to prevent corrosion & seizing.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks, that was my thinking, launch is end of day ☹️. have No idea if this is a big job or small repair, any idea? Calling around to see if can find anyone to come to the boat but if a big job and/or a quick patch/ repair is not an option, will go ahead and cancel the launch.
if you have the parts, its about a 30 minute job to replace the bonding wires and the anodes

Scott and Lou, you guys rock, thank you so much. Good to gain some insight, as “do not worry about it“ was not sitting well with me. if I can get it done in time I will, if not will postpone the launch. Thanks again.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The anodes & bonding wires are your first line of defense against aluminum corrosion; every season they should be inspected, and replaced if needed. Make sure that the anodes used are the correct ones in the water you boat in…
Fresh…magnesium
Brackish & salt….aluminum or zinc

In fresh water zinc is not active enough…you want the anodes to sacrifice themselves to protect the drive & transom mount.
However in salt water magnesium wouldn’t even last a full season.

Thanks Lou. We are in fresh water so helpful info, and items to add to checklist when take out in fall and put back in spring.

Update
Looks like the on-site mechanic I found at Marina did a “quick fix”. He popped by the boat before I got here.. and this is the quick fix… hmmmm. Messaged saying it was good for season, order wire and can replace in fall.

Attachments

• E86681D6-C715-4C84-B685-40DB30A9815F.jpeg
    E86681D6-C715-4C84-B685-40DB30A9815F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
well, that may work, I would cover the connections as they are with liquid electrical tape to keep out moisture so it lasts the season.
that anode on the bottom of the transom mount should be changed though.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks Lou. We are in fresh water so helpful info, and items to add to checklist when take out in fall and put back in spring.

Update
Looks like the on-site mechanic I found at Marina did a “quick fix”. He popped by the boat before I got here.. and this is the quick fix… hmmmm. Messaged saying it was good for season, order wire and can replace in fall.
that is a cheesy fix.

that is a cheesy fix.
Agreed… would not last a week, household connector, lousy job. I am Putting in a marine connector that at least has water protection sleeve. Still going to see if we can replace the wire, if not the new temp fix will work for the season. Also looking at getting the anode replaced now. . Luckily i was able to push launch off for a few days, as there was a cancellation. So have a little more time to rectify. Tks again!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you can use some of these stainless lanyards as bonding leads

Update - got the wire replaced and @Lou C also had the anode replaced, so Tks! Although had to postpone last weeks launch, all worked out as was only a week due to a cancellation… And gave me some extra time to get the boat buffed & waxed 😁. She is looking pretty Shinny! (Except by the anode which needs a wee scrub). Ready for launch tomorow!

Attachments

• 07E7D581-013D-4AAC-AC8C-C56C969755B2.jpeg
    07E7D581-013D-4AAC-AC8C-C56C969755B2.jpeg
    401.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 175CB53F-C9E1-4341-B1D0-6583870A3910.jpeg
    175CB53F-C9E1-4341-B1D0-6583870A3910.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 7
  • 323EA1D0-BE8B-450C-A9D7-4F59BDC812F9.jpeg
    323EA1D0-BE8B-450C-A9D7-4F59BDC812F9.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Boat looks good, and glad you got those things taken care of. Are you going to paint the outdrive with anti fouling paint? That's pretty much necessary every year here. 100% salt water use. One day I'll have to strip it all off, not looking forward to that lol.