vista 268 Bildge pump

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
Good Morning a bit confused about wiring my bilge pump with the float switch see the image below. I need to know what I connect the float wires to. Also, I checked the float, and both cables are shorted meaning I can show continuity between them. Is that correct?

Thanks

Alonso

Switch Bilge Pump
1676482545576.png

alldodge

Staff member
The bilge pump needs to be wired direct to the Bat so it will turn on with the float switch. Can also wire for manual operation like in pic. The alarm can be left off or most just wire a light in

Bilge pump auto.jpg

4now04

Seaman
The original equipment Attwood 1200gph bilge pump in my 268's engine compartment has 3 wires. One wire is power direct from the battery through the float switch to the bilge pump. I believe there should be a fuse in this line. The second wire is from the bus bar and fuse panel beside the captain's right shin and the bilge pump switch at the helm going direct to the pump. The third wire is the negative (ground) wire. The float switch should turn on the pump any time there is enough water in the bilge to raise the float, whether battery switches are on or not. The helm switch will only activate the pump when battery power is on. I have had issues with the Attwood float switches in my boat not lasting long. Four Winns uses the Attwood float switch (blue housing) for the bilge pump and another one for the shower sump. If you are having issues, I would look seriously at replacing the pump and switch with a pump that has an internal float switch. hope this helps.