Vinyl Seat - Seam has cracking / small rips - Need ideas

ispaydeu

Seaman Apprentice
Guys,

I am pulling all of the vinyl seats out of my boat and using Mr Clean Magic Eraser on them to try and clean up the vinyl. So far, the cleaning is working TERRIFIC, shocked how much better these clean pads work compared to using bleach or comet...

Anyways, I noticed that on the seams of my seats where the plane changes 90 degrees, there is a lot of cracking going on. They are all very small cracks / rips, majority are less than 1/4" but couple are less than 1/2".

My boat is a 1976, so I realize that a 34 year old boat with the original seats should have some issues... But, do you guys have any tips? I was thinking about getting some sort of a clear glue, like a super glue or cement, that I could paint on to each individual crack/rip to bond them together?

Any ideas? I'm not looking for perfection, my goal is simply to ensure that they don't get worse or at least slow down their growth, but ideally halt them from getting bigger. Perhaps there is something i can apply to the seams to strengthen them some, that way I woudln't have to apply it to every individual crack?

Here is a picture to help show what I mean

Attachments

• 0416100040.jpg
    0416100040.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Vinyl Seat - Seam has cracking / small rips - Need ideas

gluv it...!......

lol....sorry i could not resist ! :D :D :D

there is some speed sew stuff that might work....
and duct tape is allways an option.
but i think you are at the beginning of the end

ispaydeu

Seaman Apprentice

gluv it...!......

lol....sorry i could not resist ! :D :D :D

there is some speed sew stuff that might work....
and duct tape is allways an option.
but i think you are at the beginning of the end

I am FAIRLY certain the seats were at the beginning of the end a LONG time ago! LOL

... I originally planned on recovering them with new vinyl, but wife gave me the veto for this year because of the other huge list of things I want to purchase for it... So maybe next year. In the mean time, going to stick to the cleaning... But was hoping to preserve their life thru the season and long afterwards incase I never get around to recovering.

ispaydeu

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone else?

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

look into some of the vinyl patch/repair glues out there. some do a fairly decent job...not a permanent fix, but should get you through the year until you can replace them next year.

most auto stores carry this type of repair kit