Vinyl paint????

jpv

Seaman Apprentice
Tried everything on my old vinyl seats and the only thing that got them clean enough was Acetone....yes Acetone.....ok...yes it slightly melted the vinyl but it sure got it clean....I tried bleach, comet, and all the other harsh products but nothing worked. I know bleach eats the stitching but I am desparate. So I am thinking about painting them with vinyl paint. Which product should I try and how well does it work?

Thanks

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Vinyl paint????

I painted a dashboard of a car once and it held up great but that was because no one ever touched it or sat on it. I would be worried about it wearing off rather quickly from use.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I am almost positive that Mark will join in....I think he had used spray on his seats. If you have an auto paint store near you..... they normally have the quality spray cans.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Duplicolor is the best vinyl paint out there . You should be able to get it at just about any autoparts store . I have done several car interiors with it with good results as well as the bar stoll I use daily in my garage . I have also painted most of the vinyl in my boat with it .

Rick

jpv

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks....

I think I will go cheap first...I have nothing to lose....if cheap doesnt work out then I will look into recovering the cushions. My questions about the spray products are........

Is there a "marine" specific spray....or just auto?

Does the spray hold up to cleaning products, standard boat washing?

What is the longevity of this product on a covered boat?

Jim