Vintage

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
reading many different threads in this area, I'd really like to hear comments from folks who have Evinrude/Johnson outboards that have been around a while and still run strong .... knowing ours isn't anywhere near the oldest, we have a soon to be ten year old, 2003 90 hp Johnson Ocean Pro which has performed well since day one and has never been back to the shop for repairs ... it pushes our Sea Pro 180 DC along at 30+ mph with two adults who pack plenty of fishing gear

Jim

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Vintage

10 year old? vintage? i have a few more motors than a fella should have, and i prefer to run my small motors from the 50's....and never have a worry. i do have a couple of "modern" motors from the 80's, but they just seem to collect dust. with that being said, a well mantained ob, should run well for many years.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Last time I went out, we took my 1953 Firestone and my 1962 Sea King. Both ran great.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

My oldest is from the middle 40's and the newest is from 1976.

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1950 Johnson 5 HP - low hours
1958 Johnson 3 HP - moderate hours
1962 SeaKing (Gale OMC) 15 HP - higher hours
1965 Johnson 9.5 HP - very high hours
1973 Johnson 6 HP - very low hours (but working to change that)
1976 Evinrude 70 HP - moderate hours
All of these motors are original, unrestored, and all would seem to have a lot of life left in them, judging from their current condition.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

10 year old? vintage?

nope, most certainly not .... as I read through post from folks with outboards that have been in service much, much longer I freely admit being somewhat in awe of then ..... there are certainly 50 + year old cars, trucks, and motorcycles out there but a very small percentage are in active use .... outboards seem to be in a different universe

Jim

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class

nope, most certainly not .... as I read through post from folks with outboards that have been in service much, much longer I freely admit being somewhat in awe of then ..... there are certainly 50 + year old cars, trucks, and motorcycles out there but a very small percentage are in active use .... outboards seem to be in a different universe

Jim

1966 40hp johnny , RDS28B . it sat for 10+ years and started right up . gave it a tuneup and it sounds like a subway train out of control:eek: . should run for another 46 years .

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

JohnnyRudes aren't considered "old" until they are eligible for AARP.:)

RSchendel

Seaman

In my book the useful life of an outboard is not measured in age, but the availability of parts and the cost of keeping the motor going. Problems with rings, pistons and the lower unit gears can be hard/expensive to fix. Most everything else is worth fixing when compared to new. Of course, new for this group means another used motor.

kfa4303

Banned

I'm not sure 10 years old is old, for anything, but I've loved all my '60s era Johnsons (10 hp, 20 hp, 33 hp). They're reliable, easy to work on, very strong for their size and look cooler than most newer motors. I've left many a fancy Darth Vader motor at the dock after one pull of the starter rope. My favorite looking motors are the '58 vintage Johnsons, but you can't go wrong with any OMC motor made from the mid 50s-mid 70s.