Vintage Steel Gas Tank Parts?

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice
I picked up a cool little 62 Orlando Clipper runabout with a Merc 700 and it came with two vintage steel 6gal gas cans. I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to replace all the parts on the cans. I want to replace everything, the gauge and cap because I'm going to strip them and refinish them with replication decals and everything and I don't want to put these old weathered parts back on again once done.

Thanks!

matt167

Rear Admiral
If they are Mercury tanks, I think all that is available is the seals

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice
If they are Mercury tanks, I think all that is available is the seals
I wonder if you can mix-and match between the two connector styles, get a tank with the two nipples that the Evinrude's etc use, and then on the other end put the Mercury engine connector. That might allow me to rebuild this with those parts or buy new steel Evinrude cans and dress them like Mercury cans.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
sell the OMC cans and find mercury cans

sites like oldmercs and AOMCI would be best sources for parts.

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice
sell the OMC cans and find mercury cans

sites like oldmercs and AOMCI would be best sources for parts.
It's actually the opposite, I have the Merc cans and want to refurbish them. I just found new seals and fuel level gauges on eBay so that is a good start in the right direction. I was only considering the OMC cans and changing the fuel line to be OMC on one side and Merc on the other if I am unable to get the new parts for Merc cans, since they seem harder to source than the OMC refurbish parts.

I was able to find the complete reproduction decals and paint, I just need to round it out with fresh parts to make them like brand new cans.