Vintage Mercury Cooling Issue

tpenfield

Staff member
I pulled the spark plugs, cleaned them up checked the wiring, etc.

The engine WAS running on 1 cylinder, by the looks of the plugs, the bottom one was firing, not the top cylinder.

Runs good now - at least for the time being 😀

I think I’ll get some new plugs for it.

tpenfield

Staff member
I installed some new spark plugs and took the boat out for a test ride. After 30 seconds of joy, the engine resumed running on one cylinder.

I brought the engine home, pulled the flywheel and checked the coils for continuity (about 1 ohm each) and then I set the points, which were a little worn and were not pulling the full gap (0.020")

Still no joy, so I think I'll be checking the wiring, etc. . . . maybe get a spark tester.

tpenfield

Staff member
Thinking to myself . . . :unsure:

Oh yea, I have a timing light, that will show if there is spark . . . or not. :)

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick Update . . .

The timing light confirmed the bottom cylinder not firing. I pulled the plug and it looked like it got some carbon fouling right away. . . (really not the right type of spark plug).

I cleaned it up and now both cylinders are firing. Probably going to see about getting the right type of plug.

tpenfield

Staff member
Ignition System Update . . .

I went through the ignition system the past few days. Coil resistance is about 1 ohm each . . . maybe a bit less.

The cam levers on the points were a bit worn and getting only about 0.010 gap. So, I set those to the 0.020 spec. I also cleaned up the the connections.
70878711871__36DABB2E-28E3-45C8-9E29-2DD6CFDEA3B3.JPG
.IMG_4768.JPG
IMG_4767.JPG
For now, the engine is running on both cylinders.

I also found that the cooling water flow was not getting to the top cylinder. It seemed like an air pocket or something. Anyway, I replaced the plug on the top of the powerhead with a right angle barb fitting and ran a second 'pee' line. A bit unusual, :unsure: but it worked. :)

I think I should probably get a newer version of this motor, so it has the better ignition system.

tpenfield

Staff member
New spark plugs finally arrived. I'll be putting them in this week and see how things go.

If I can make it thru the season on this motor, then it may be a keeper. Meanwhile, I am looking on FB and CL for back-ups.