Vintage 3.5hp Sears

Picked up this classic two days ago, cleaned up nice, I'll be starting to go through it in the very near future.20220331_115601.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The Sears 3.5 HP just an air cooled noisy " ESKA " or perhaps a McColough motor .-----Not high on the hit parade.----Not worth much.

matt167

Captain
The Sears 3.5 HP just an air cooled noisy " ESKA " or perhaps a McColough motor .-----Not high on the hit parade.----Not worth much.
I agree. Will be noisy. But that is an interesting one. Never seen one quite like that. They were obviously looking at a Merc when they designed the cowl

Yep, made by Eska, this one has a Tecumseh/Power Products power-head. Too many feel these aren't worth anything, oddly the same people will spend a small fortune on a "Guppy" or similar Tecumseh powered model made in similar fashion. Other than being louder than than many "other" makes of outboards, I still do like these. At least in my case I stick to point ignition models only. These Eskas and like models work very well with my 12' Starcraft fish'n boat, once gone through (no different than any other vintage brand) are a great very lightweight and dependable motor for fishing trips to the nearby lake. Simple and easy to work on and the point ignition parts are still plentiful and not costly, water impellers are still reasonably priced as well. Lets see, this one is now 54 years old and will be up and running again very soon. I still won't understand the nay sayers on these, but it is what it is. I still own a 1953 Sears Craftsman walk-behind lawn mower powered by a Power Products engine that still starts on the first wrap of the pull rope!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is no such thing as a perfect outboard.----Just some that are perfect for you.-----An air cooled motor like that would not be my first choice.-----I go with OMC models 5.5 / 7.5 / 10 hp as I know them inside and out.----Have all the parts for them.

boater1944

Recruit
What is the meaning of ESKA?
The worth is in my 70 years of memories.
It was made for Sears by Wester Auto.
The next size up was a water cooled 2 HP that my dad had, that never failed to start.
They were advertised as dependable