VIN location for Tracker Trailstar Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squibbly

Cadet
Hello

I recently purchased a 1996 Tracker, and am doing a restoration on it. The trailer I got with the boat, which clearly is the trailer that originally came with the boat, has a VIN sticker, but all the writing was either never there or has washed off.

I tried the black light trick, and cannot see any numbers.

I purchased the boat from South Carolina, where it is not required to register your trailer. In North Carolina you are required to register it which requires a title which requires a VIN.

I called Tracker Marine who put me in touch with another place who told me if I had the Sheriffs department call them, they could tell the sheriffs department where the location of a "hidden vin" number is.

I don't understand the point of this exercise. If the sticker hadn't wiped off or if it were stamped AS IT SHOULD BE, even if I stole the trailer, I'd be able to see the VIN, so why not just tell me where the VIN is?? Anyways...I looked all over the trailer and don't see it.

I'll probably just go through the process of registering it as a homemade trailer since the tongue was cut and rewelded to be longer, and get a new VIN, but if anyone has any idea what the "secret" location of the VIN is, please let me know. It'll save me a couple hours of work in having to go get a metal stamping kit and re-stamp the trailer.

Thank you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have to call the sheriff anyway if you attempt to register it as home made or to have them inspect it with tracker on the phone, why not register it properly and tracker will get you a new sticker.

Squibbly

Cadet
Scott Danforth correct. The difference is that I can go to the DMV today, get a VIN number and stamp it, then take it to the Sheriff for inspection, and go file for a title from the DMV, OR

I can take it to the sheriff, have them call Tracker, get the VIN number, THEN stamp the numbers in 100 degree heat in NC in 2 places on the boat in front of them (because that is part of the inspection), go back to the DMV and apply for a lost title.

OR...if someone on this forum had an idea where the number was (I suspect the small stamped plate on on of the cross beams, and another plate on the axl in combination with standard Tracker numbers is the riddle), all I have to do is go to the DMV with my bill of sale and the VIN and apply for a lost title.

I get to bypass the Sheriff department all together if someone on the forum has an answer, and I get to bypass the heat if I just file as homemade. I get your point however, and I'll probably suck it up and try to get the original VIN.

Thanks,

-squib

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
or you call the sheriffs department and they come inspect it at your property because legally you cant be on the road with it

and most deputies wont call it "home built" and would want you to call tracker with them there. they will also want to check if its is a stolen trailer.

some trailers have a second vin location under a light, some under the tongue and some under a frame rail. there is no standard location.

bigdee

Commander
In NC DMV is not that picky on trailers under 3500#. Register it as home made, if they ask questions tell them you bought it as salvage and made modifications to it. Bottom line is all they care about is having a valid tag on it. No law enforcement will ever check VIN number....if license plate is current and not expired your good.

Newmexlobo

Recruit
Hello

I recently purchased a 1996 Tracker, and am doing a restoration on it. The trailer I got with the boat, which clearly is the trailer that originally came with the boat, has a VIN sticker, but all the writing was either never there or has washed off.

I tried the black light trick, and cannot see any numbers.

I purchased the boat from South Carolina, where it is not required to register your trailer. In North Carolina you are required to register it which requires a title which requires a VIN.

I called Tracker Marine who put me in touch with another place who told me if I had the Sheriffs department call them, they could tell the sheriffs department where the location of a "hidden vin" number is.

I don't understand the point of this exercise. If the sticker hadn't wiped off or if it were stamped AS IT SHOULD BE, even if I stole the trailer, I'd be able to see the VIN, so why not just tell me where the VIN is?? Anyways...I looked all over the trailer and don't see it.

I'll probably just go through the process of registering it as a homemade trailer since the tongue was cut and rewelded to be longer, and get a new VIN, but if anyone has any idea what the "secret" location of the VIN is, please let me know. It'll save me a couple hours of work in having to go get a metal stamping kit and re-stamp the trailer.

Thank you.
Just purchased a bass tracker and I'm having the same problem. I have the title but no visible vin on the trailer. Just curious how you solved your problem. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.