video: R/C hydroplane blow-over.. sort of.. hehehehe.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: video: R/C hydroplane blow-over.. sort of.. hehehehe.

absolutely incredible. I want one.<br /><br />any idea on what it is or where to get one?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Here is the inventors homepage<br />michaelconnally.com/

KaGee

Admiral

Well, they do call them hydro-Planes. :D <br /><br />That was cool, but I'm afraid I'd crack it up the first time out.

tommays

Admiral

i no guys that race them in 4 ft range and it cost allmost as much as a real boat :eek: <br /><br />when my kids were younger we did r/c cars lets see 40 bucks for tires a day , nitro ,hitting the curb at 60 priceless :D <br /><br /><br />tommays

D

DJ

What kind of prop are they running? :eek: It (the prop) seems to have a bit of lift. :D

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Definite need smart-tabs to keep that bow down. Where's nautiJohn when you need him.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

That was AWESOME! I have got to get me one of those.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Way Cool! But I'd have that thing in pieces in no time. :D

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

cool I want one full size ,now thats what I call fly-fishing

sangerwaker

Commander

Sanpper, that was SUPER cool! Thanks for posting that. I need to send that to a few buddies. I've seen the flying lawnmower, but the boats are sweet!

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> What kind of prop are they running? :eek: It (the prop) seems to have a bit of lift. :D
I think its powered by a jet engine. I saw them back in the 70's when they first came out and only cost $900 then. And not a common 'glow plug' model airplane engine turning a ducted fan--- a true jet turbine engine a little more than a foot long, and a couple inches in diameter. <br /><br />If that's what its powered by: <br /><br />I can see how the model works. <br /><br />A hydro does have airfoils on their sides. If the sides of the hull are wide enough for the power/weight-- it should 'fly' more than they normally make the boat do- which is just enough to get it up on top of the water. <br /><br /><br />And a 'spoiler' is common for the rear of them.<br />They've added 'flight' controls to the spoiler. That does the job of a airplanes rear wing--- or horizontal stablizer. <br /><br />Put rudder controls on the 'tail' surfaces that support the spoiler or horiz. stabilizer....<br /><br />Make the bottom flat & strong enough to slide on/over anything- be it water, grass, or asphalt...<br /><br />As long as it is water tight, and floats......<br /><br /><br />Use a model sized jet engine angeled properly for thrust instead of a prop in the water or in the air above the hull---- and you got a airplane that can run over water, grass, or even the street.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I think it must use a propeller on the front of the boat that pulls the thing through the water, air, grass, etc... Otherwise it would never be able to hover the way it does. If it was propelled from the rear, it would flip over, crash and burn when you tried to stall it in a climb. So I guess you can add helicopter to the list of things this boat can do. :D

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

In the video, you can see the prop up front. Right after he wiggles the elevons on the tail as he is about to take off down the street. The elevons work together as an elevator on an airplane and also independantly as ailerons through a mixer in the transmitter. I have flown R/C aircraft for close to 20 years and have never seen the likes of those boats! Kinda neato if you ask me.<br /><br />Dave