Video Game unofficial poll

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Now that my kids are old enough to use as an excuse, been thinking of buying a video game system for "them".<br /><br />Have an old Playstation now, and am surprised at how good my kids do with it. Since games are hard or impossible to find now, I am thinking of buying a newer game system. I'm looking for opinions, not technical information or knowledge.<br /><br />I want something with decent graphics and good games available. Have seen a lot of educational games for young children for Playstation2.<br /><br />I am into racing games, but none of us cares for fighting killing games. Looking for a good combination of fun, skill, and educational.<br /><br />Kids have Leapster games which are cool. Good graphics, good educational value, and build good hand eye coordination. But these games are older, hand held, with a variety of game cartridges, but can not be played together or on a TV.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Video Game unofficial poll

PS2 for a staggering array of titles. Xbox for graphics.<br />That's straight from my sons mouth (sometimes it seems as though he plays the damn things 24/7).<br /><br />Personally, I like the PS2.

TilliamWe

Banned

dd, you must not have a "Game Crazy" near you in Nebraska yet. Too bad, it would save you a ton of dough. There are two in Peoria alone, and they still have games for Sega Genesis (my favorite!), and the original Nintendo, not to mention PS.<br />But if your kids are used to PS, then go PS2.

sangerwaker

Commander

I vote PS2 also.<br /><br />The nice thing about that system is you can use your PS1 games on it. There are plenty of educational games for both PS1 & 2. <br /><br />If you like the racing games, dd, be sure to check out the Grand Turismo series. The latest is the best obviously, but the older versions are still kick butt.

one more cast

Captain

My wife and I have a PS2. We only use it during the winter and about the only game we play is Hotshots golf. We also have a target shooting game and a bass fishing game thats pretty challenging. Like you, we prefer to stay away from the violent games. Play station 1 games will also work in a PS2.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Check ebay for PS 1 games.<br /><br />I vote PS 2 as well. You can get a used system for pretty cheap.<br /><br />Check your local Blockbuster or Hollywood video they sell used systems.<br /><br />Ken

Ron G

Commander

We have a ps2 i like the socom games may be a little to vilonent,rapalas bass game is fun to,Test drive is a fun racing game.

Ralph 123

Captain

For young kids, it was recommended that we buy a gamecube - I guess there are more titles for younger players on that platform. We bought one and there seems to be a good selection. Graphics are good. Lots of titles tied to kids movies like Madagascar, Shrek 2, Robots - my Son is 6, has those and more. He does well with them and they are age appropriate yet still good enough for us to play together.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

PS2 have a large amount of titles for the older crowd- teen and mature audiences. They have some for "everyone" but they tend to be the sports oriented games. Gamecube has the Mario legacy and every game that can be wrapped around that little guy is out there- it boggles the mind how many games they have farmed that one idea into. We have both- Gamecube mainly for my son and a PS2 for me. I prefer the "reality" graphics of the PS2 while my son likes the "cartoon" quality of the Gamecube. <br /><br /> As a bonus, I use the PS2 to watch DVDs as well. The video rental places have more PS2 stuff than anything else but the kid's choices are limited.<br /><br /> There's something new and better coming soon- expect it before Christmas this year. I heard/read rumors of PS3 or something like that with more features- including even better graphics. PS2 right now almost looks like film on some games so the next generation should be awesome. <br /><br />UFM82

eeboater

Commander

I just hooked my NES up to my 52" HD-Widescreen last week.<br /><br />Ahhhhh I love the 8 bit graphics my 3" tall mario.<br /><br />I have a PS2. Of course, the PS2 has the greatest racing game ever made - GranTourismo 4. You'll be addicted, guaranteed. Otherwise, PS2 is by far the most "popular" game system on the market. Interestingly enough, it is the crappiest one too. Xbox and Gamecube are more powerful and have much more graphical games. PS2 just had their first HD game released (GT4 mentioned above) - this is after years in production.<br /><br />On the other hand, if you have the PSOne and a bunch of games for tha game system, the PS1 games still play in the PS2. The possibilty that you can do that with the soon-to-be relased PS3 is out there as well. Keeping your games on the same platform might extend the longetivity of your games.<br /><br />Sean

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the advice everyone. <br /><br />I go to the local Hastings book store and video rental store for my games. I can buy the previously rented games for around $10. Fairly new releases at that.<br /><br />I know as soon as I break down and buy a game it will be just like the old Sega and the Playstation. As soon as I step out the door something new will come out. I am not too concerned about keeping up with these games, just looking for something the kids and I can play on those cold winter days. They only play about 4 hours a week or so, try to keep them more active. <br /><br />The search goes on...

Pony

Rear Admiral

One problem I have with my PS2 and I know that they are all like this....is that the laser is very very sensitive. If the DVD you want to watch is slightly scratched forget about watching it on a PS2. The DVD will play fine on any normal player, but will freeze and skip in the PS2.<br /><br />The XBOX is a great gaming system. The graphics are superier and in my opinion the games are as well. I have both systems and would say i spend 90% of my video game time on my XBOX.<br /><br />Another thing to consider is that if you ever want to play games online. For example I play NFL 2K5 online versus my friends from work constantly along with many other numerous games such as HALO2 just to name one. Although you have to pay a subscription to play online, you don;t need to buy a network adapter like with PS2, and beside that the PS@ online platform is horrible. Its too slow, it lags, and it overall takes most of the fun away for me. XBOX online play is almost perfect.<br /><br />In the end you may want to look at Gamecube. It has many many children orientated games, and is inexpensive. The graphics are good as well. You can't play DVDs like with XBOX and PS2, but thats not a big deal. Also you may want to consider that with the new systems for Playstation, XBOX, and Nintendo that will be coming out before christmas, there will be a surplus of good and used PS2s, XBOX's and Gamecubes out there. With ebay and used gaming stores being everywhere now, games and accessories should always be readily available regardless of what system you get

FLATHEAD

Captain

My nephew plays those things 24/7, He always has a portable one with him when he aint at home. That kid is so soft for a 13 year old it is pathetic.

KaGee

Admiral

X-Box for my vote.... (Halo2 on line is as addictive as this forum....ooopppss! Did I say that?) ;)

brother chris

Commander

As an avid video game player, I recommend you wait until Christmas and get them the new Xbox, or the new Playstation. <br />They will love you lots more, guarenteed! <br />Or, PS2 is cheap now, and so are the games, and they are great too.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Pac-Man.........<br />
0072063482020_LG.jpg
<br />What?..... :D

Ron G

Commander

Snapper the old lady plays that packman game all the time ,why dont they have different boards?Im guilty too :D

eeboater

Commander

Snapper - played one of those over the weekend. Good fun, until the thumb button broke... :rolleyes:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I'm on my second one... :D Wore the first one out playing pac-man and dig-dug...