Vibration TurningPoint 4 blade

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone use Turning Point 4 blade props? The ones with two different blade geometies per hub.

I'm on my second one in search for correct loading at WOT. Both have a vibration issue. The 15 by 15 was worse than the 14.5 by 17.

My VolvoPenta 3 and 4 blade props don't generate a vibration that I can feel as with the TP ones.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I have used on for the last 2 seasons. No issues at all. I think they are great, BTW.

You have the correct hub kit for your motor? Is it possible your prop shaft is slightly bent?

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have used on for the last 2 seasons. No issues at all. I think they are great, BTW.

You have the correct hub kit for your motor? Is it possible your prop shaft is slightly bent?
I would have vibration with the VP props if it were bent would think. I have the correct hub based on everthing I've researched. Its only noticable at low to medium rpm with the 14.5 by 17. The 15 by 15 was more so but not at high rpm. I don't understand it really.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I would have vibration with the VP props if it were bent would think. I have the correct hub based on everthing I've researched. Its only noticable at low to medium rpm with the 14.5 by 17. The 15 by 15 was more so but not at high rpm. I don't understand it really.
Take them to a prop shop for balancing

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I have a couple in the 13" diam. range, in 17-19P. I did expect vibration considering the two types of blades but didn't notice any.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Not doubting you but just to confirm, I think TP props have proprietary hubs right? Do you have their hub? Do you have the aluminum or steel version?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Newer TP props use XMS hubs as well as their own. They are brass and plastic, and specifically adapt the prop housing to the number, position and size of the splines of the propshaft. Mercury OB and I/O splines are longer than Johnnyrude OB splines, for example.

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Take them to a prop shop for balancing
I exchanged the 15by15 for the 14.5 by 17 using TP prop exchange program. Since TP doesn't seem to have a prop to turn my engine at target rpm it looks like I'm going to sell this last tp on ebay and get the michigan wheel 14.5 by 18 4 blade.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I exchanged the 15by15 for the 14.5 by 17 using TP prop exchange program. Since TP doesn't seem to have a prop to turn my engine at target rpm it looks like I'm going to sell this last tp on ebay and get the michigan wheel 14.5 by 18 4 blade.
I had very good experinces with michigan vortex 4 blades, used a 16” for skiing and 18” for tubing and cruising. Both wee an excellent value