VHF Radios

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: VHF Radios

"what's the difference between a VHF antenna and a 27MHz antenna?"

Answer - 130 Mhz

Seriously, 27Mhz is down low like CB radio and exceeds line of sight by skipping and bending along the globe.

If the cable installed is RG58 or equivelant you can re-use it. It will most likely need to be re-terminated.

I would advise aginst using adapters, they will cause noise and add too much leverage to the connector causing failure.

The base should be fine provided the threads match - they will.

I'd add a third antenna and call it a farm :)

basalt51

Seaman

Ok, so after all this great advice, I'd be a crazy person to not get a hard mounted radio. So I will. Let me ask this potentially silly question, but one that could save me money and effort. I know this is a long shot, but I'm just going to ask anyhow. So I need a radio and antenna. Ok, well when I got my boat, it had this ancient King Loran thing on it. I've since learned that it's all but useless to me. But, I already have this nice big antenna mounted on the bow for the Loran. It's plenty long and folds up. And has wired running to the dash. Is there any chance in the world the Loran Antenna will work for a VHF radio?

It may not be completely useless. You can clip the end of the cable under the dash, tie some string to it and pull it through. Tie the string to the cable for your new antenna, and pull it back through. That is if you want your new antenna mounted there.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I have a set of ICOM IC-M34 radios. They hold their charge well, they are waterproof and the float. Mine came with a charging base that you can mount in the boat and plug into a cigarette lighter to keep charged or recharge. I love them and they suffice well for the boating that I do which is very similar to what you decide. And we use them as walkie talkies while camping at the lake, and/or when lanching and communicating between boat and truck, etc....

I do plan to add a fixed radio with antenna in the boat. Additionally, instead of the money for the ICOMS (I got sold on them as the brand of UHF radio we used in Iraq) you can get the Uniden for about $90 each, and they are waterproof and float as well....

Good Luck...

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I know there are other hams beside myself. VHF range normal everyday conditions is the horizon +10 to 15 percent. I'm using a Yaesu 2 meter/440 that had the RX/TX opened up to the marine band, full power @ 50 watts in Long Island Sound in can hit 2m and 440mhz repeaters in Ct and NY side with no problems.