Vetrans

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,FL_veterans_021505,00.html?ESRC=navy.nl <br /> this is outragous. its almost as bad as the soldiers that gave testimony at a senate hearing. some missing eyes,legs and hands as well as spinal injuries. seems that resevist dont get medical care even though they were active duty and it was combat related.<br /> http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,FL_burial_021105,00.html?ESRC=navy.nl <br /> however the second site makes me feel a bit better anyway<br /> yall write some congressmen. I myself am having to sue the VA over a service connected disability that my DD214 shows I was medically retired with a service connected disability.<br /> so I have to sue the same govt I served. how Ironic :)

Calessa

Cadet
Re: Vetrans

Yikes! sorry to hear you troubles rodbolt!<br />Im a VET myself & work for the VA (oddly enough todays my last day, I got a job with the State). Hope it works well for you.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> so I have to sue the same govt I served. how Ironic :)
Unfortunately it's normal in every country in the world.<br /><br />You've pressed a button here so I'll do a short rant.<br /><br />First, I'm not a veteran of overseas or war service nor the child of one. I'm not personally affected by how veterans are treated.<br /><br />Second, throughout history governments at war have promised servicemen and more recently servicewomen a land fit for heroes once their service is over.<br /><br />Third, governments never deliver. Once the war or need for their service is over the service people are cast aside and forgotten. Both by the government and often the people who stayed at home.<br /><br />Fourth, in the past century service people have often been better off than their predecessors with some government benefits, but they have to negotiate a maze of ridiculous bureacracies often staffed by pencil di*ks who make it their mission in life to erect defences to veterans' claims which, if there was a military equivalent, would put an end to all wars. <br /><br />Fifth, how hard would it be for governments to give veterans full health care for life? Instead they make veterans go through ridiculous hoops trying to prove that they were sprayed by Agent Orange in the Vietnam era or that the Gulf War Syndrome is actually a medical condition in GW1. Etc, etc, etc. Or denying that the condition is war related because there are no medical records of the injury. The possibility that the records might have been blown up, jettisoned or gone down with the ship in the dire events that caused the injury doesn't penetrate their thick pencil-pushing skulls.<br /><br />Sixth, governments should just accept that people who performed military service did the government's bidding, right or wrong; that they had no control over where they went or what they were ordered to do (unless they were lucky enough to be a shirker who had powerful friends who kept them out of danger); and that any idiot apart from a veterans' affairs doctor or clerk could work out that military service in hot spots can cause life-long problems for the people who were actually there instead of sitting behind some desk that they wouldn't have if the poor bast*rd on the other side of the desk and thousands like him or her hadn't served.<br /><br />Seventh, just give them all free health care for life, for Chrissake. We can afford it and they deserve at least that, and a bloody sight more!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I thought the hildebeast was going to everyone (vets and ileagal immigrants included) free medical.<br />Oh well.

NYMINUTE

Captain

We sure were appreciated for serving in Viet Nam. I left it off job apps and resumes until 9-11. Now I have removed it again. Seems to offend professional people with no service time. Never did figure out why serving our country is so offensive to those who live in our country?? Maybe they should leave, and take an unhappy imigrant with them.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Trying to get health care for being sent somewhere you didn't want to go, doing something something you didn't want to do, suffering something you didn't want to suffer, and having to fight a country you don't want to fight for a little care is like a waist high fire. It really burns my ---.<br /><br /> The worst fight a vet will have is the fight to receive what should be given freely for those who earned it. The service most vets get from the service providers is mostly LIP SERVICE. It fits nicely with the politicians that vote to send the young people to these situations in the first place.<br /><br /> If a country is going to fight these costly wars, and I realize sometimes they are necessary, then a percentage of the costs of fighting the war should be set aside to take care of those who fought, not those who voted to fight.. :mad: <br /><br /> I hope you get my point. How far would say 10% of the 80+ Billion being requested for this years operation in Iraq/Afghan' go toward taking care of those vets being severely injured.<br /><br /> I do tend to get a little upset when a country doesn't care enough to give the care deserved to those who fought for that same country.<br /><br /> Rant over...

Laddies

Banned

It does not bother the politcians to send our young men and women off to war, except for the cost of the war materials, then when it's over they are the first to forget those that served. The pain and suffering that were caused by their decisions are soon forgot about in DC and we become the flotsom of war and should be forgotten about as soon as posiable by them---FREEDOM IS NOT FREE IT IS PAID FOR IN BLOOD AND SUFFERING===Bob

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Its really embarrasing how our government treats our vets.<br /><br />Ken

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> Its really embarrasing how our government treats our vets.<br /><br />Ken
YUP! <br />But on the bright side becuase of the internet and the Bloggs.. eww ick "talk radio" and the fact that the main stream news will do AnyThing to make GW look bad and actually report this.. Maybe things will change for the better for our Vets. I hope!

gonfishn

Commander

For the vets here..Sitting around and complaining about the system and doing nothing about it will get nothing done..<br /><br />Know the system..When you apply for disabilty they should connect you with a sponsor to work with you..With me it was the Viet Nam group..Now you don't have to be a Nam Vet..But if you served during that time they will take up your cause..<br /><br />You don't have to be a combat Vet to qualify either..An injury is an injury..We all know the injuries we had during servce when younger get more bothersome as we get older..<br /><br />As long as its servie connected(key word) you qualify.. In the Beginning they may only give you Precriptions..<br /><br />I finally got my pension after two years ..In the past I have come on here and offered to help some of you get around the first phase..Most of you have my email..Instead of complaining about it here,take that first step and get what you feel you have coming to you..I did..

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

pageing rodbolt, give me a call, 800 541 3622, ask for wa, your case sound familar.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

gonefishing, you are so right, i talk to vets all the time, i give out booklets,i encourage vets to get the benefits that are there for the asking, it seems that many hold off because of pride, they dont accept that its not about pride its about a greatful country giving back something to its heroes. its not about a hand out, its a benefit earned. all veterans are entitled to health care and a regular doctor for 15 dollars a visit. all veterans can get thier meds for 7 per month, and be treated in a veterans hospital, for any condition,service related or not. yes there are additional benefits for service connected conditions, family, education benefits and support for less fortunate veterans. <br /> All POWs are at the top of the list for all services, i know of a WW2 pilot who retired and was doing ok, but time and inflation desolved his pension,health benefits, and pride, he didnt get new eye glasses in 10 years, was spending most of his ss on meds, now he has his new glasses,meds, regular visits to the doctor,and is in better health than i and hes 30 years my senior. <br /> i happen to be a ELK, if your a vet and dont seem to get the flow right with the va, call your elk lodge and a brouther elk/vet will be there to help you, or call me free at work above and ill get u intouch,<br />vets,GOD BLESS AND THANKYOU

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

Ken,Ive seen some confused vets show up, and go off about the System in the wrong place to the nicecest people who wouldve helped them if they wouldve listened, but they cant tackle them or tie them down.