Very Slow 7.5 Evinrude

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Very Slow 7.5 Evinrude

Hoooray!! I guess. :) <br />I local "Dock Rat" - a nice kid that seems to live at the Marina, offered to install new rings for me. He said he would replace the rings and clean the engine for $15.00 and all the Dr. Pepper he could drink in two hours. (Seemed sort of funny to me!! :eek: ) So I let him try.... Seems like this little Salty may have found a profession. My little motor is pushing like never before. (As far as I can remember) Compression in both cylinders is at 89-92.<br />However he stated that he did not use a head gasket. He used a form of "Form-a-gasket” he does not know if this will hold. But if it gives me trouble he would make a gasket for me. What do you guys think?

CAMLEE

Cadet

I just read this whole thread. What a perfect ending to the story. AWESOME! This is the best web site I've ever found(just taking on a project boat of my own), and the people here are great. I wish I knew a 1/4 of what you know about boat motors, but I have a feeling if I stick around here long enough I will.<br />Happy sailing!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Wunderbar!! What a great bit of luck! Make sure you keep a link to this youngster. Please offer him my congratulations on a job well done. And congratulations to you too.<br /><br />Best of fortunes on future voyages.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice

Fix Detail : for Poor Performance:<br /><br />New Plugs - gap 030<br />New Fuel Pump - possible not needed<br />reversed reed valve<br />Cleaned Carb<br />Cleaned Fuel System (Tank and Tubes)<br />New rings (original pistons)<br /><br />Thanks for all the help guys and gals...<br />Please also contribute to our next project under SAILING Forum -Moving up to Bristol 51 with Severe Electrical issues...

Fouled Plug

Ensign

I would most certainly replace the head gasket. They have metal sealing rings for the cylinders that "gasket goop" isn't a good substitute for. Might even bump compression a # or two. By the way, did he hone (deglaze) the cylinder bores?

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice

The Young man did not Hone or Deglaze the cylinder bores. He just replaced the Old Rings with new ones. I will ask him he he can get a Head Gasket for me. <br />I am just happy it is running better. <br />But, it looks like I will donate this boat to the local High School........ (I will pass this Thread on to whoever gets my little baby "Scuttle") <br />I am in the process of checking out a Bristol 51.1. Please check under the Sailing Forum....